Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dug a unusual belt plate

K.B.

Steve, took my e-trac out a couple of weeks ago and dug up this belt plate . It was completely caked in dirt. I thought to myself, if I'm lucky, its a tag from some company. I put it in jar and let it soak. Several days later I began cleaning it with a soft toothbrush and (when the soldered on tongue came off). man was I stunned when the Gold on brass appeared. It measures L 2 3/4" X W 1 7/8". I understood what I had after I found a couple of examples online, also noticed some parts are missing. 3 holes are visible and 3 are closed. Wow, just zoomed in and directly in the center of the plate is the number 44 and a Palmetto ?

Attachments

• belt plate with 44 1.jpg
    belt plate with 44 1.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 160
  • back of belt plate with tongue .jpg
    back of belt plate with tongue .jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 166
  • belt plate with 44  (2).jpg
    belt plate with 44 (2).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 151
  • (front) marked holes in belt plate .jpg
    (front) marked holes in belt plate .jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 165
That is both a cool looking and an unusual plate you have. What state are you from? A Palmetto makes on think of South Carolina, possibly some militia plate? Maybe someone will chime in that has a book on plates and can help with an ID. Best of luck, and nice save.

Maybe related?

Attachments

• fcd75b46db12167d0e16316efe581692-1.jpg
    fcd75b46db12167d0e16316efe581692-1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 135
What do you know about this plate ?
I looked it up im not very knowledgeable about civil war belt plates but I'm interested in the subject. I Just know its a a South Carolina plate

Steve, took my e-trac out a couple of weeks ago and dug up this belt plate . It was completely caked in dirt. I thought to myself, if I'm lucky, its a tag from some company. I put it in a jar and let it soak. Several days later I began cleaning it with a soft toothbrush and (when the soldered on tongue came off). man was I stunned when the Gold on brass appeared. It measures L 2 3/4" X W 1 7/8". I understood what I had after I found a couple of examples online, also noticed some parts are missing. 3 holes are visible and 3 are closed. Wow, just zoomed in and directly in the center of the plate is the number 44 and possibly a Palmetto ?
(Back) tongue, original placement

Attachments

• back with original tongue placement 2.jpg
    back with original tongue placement 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 118