Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Dug Another War Nickel That Read 32 On The Meter

Lightning strikes twice so it seems. Went back to the park where I got the first War Nickel. This one is a 1945 P, at 4" and gave a solid 32 on the meter. Even air testing. Have no clue why they are reading so high. I noise cancel on a regular basis to keep the Quattro at optimum performance. I run in the Coin & Jewelry mode, with the Relic cross saved so I can switch to Ferrous audio quickly, Conductivity, with sensitivity at 15-16. The soil was dry but had some dampness at the surface. No other targets around.

Wow, that is weird. Looks like there must have been a shipment of those "high test" nickels with 70% silver content in your area or something. Seriously...what other explanation is there?

It could be the type of soil I'm hunting in. Maybe it has more mineralization? Could it be the Quattro? Rick in ND will soon have the first nickel I dug to test on various machines. We'll see what he posts.

Well, unless I've misunderstood you, I doubt it's the soil or your Quattro.

First, didn't you say you air tested it? I assume that you've waved the coins in front of the coil while NOT on the ground? To rule out the ground or any other object.

Second, your Quattro properly ID's other items...such as a quarter at 38, correct?

So it would seem that if Andy, Rick, and I can all take a War nickel and get 15 or 16 out of it then the only possibility is that your War nickels...for whatever reason...have either more silver (normally 35%) or more copper (normally 56%). Either could do it. Judging by the color of your nickel, I would say more silver is more likely.

But as you say, soon Rick can tell us. At which time we will either have it cleared up or be even more confused. :)