Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eclipse 950 vs. 9"Spider Eclipse

vito

Hello detectorists.

Having the Eclipse 950 stock coil for the MXT and DFX the question is,
what will the 9" Spider do better than the 950isch?

If that question was answered in the past I'm sorry for,
but a forum search didn't show a result close to the question.

Your responses are much appreciated.

I have both, and I'm pretty sure they are electrically the same, just different housings. The 9" Spider is lighter, balances better, and overall easier to work with. I use it a lot on my V3i since it gets good depth and coverage and ID's very well. I also use it some on my MXT and it's good coil.

The 950 Concentric coil is basically ugly, in my opinion, and is a dated design that's been around for 30 years. The 9" open-frame [size=small](aka 'spider')[/size] concentric is a more recent design from White's and is more 'modern' looking or more 'fashionable' in the detector world. It also balances a little better because the rod-mount is a little closer to the coil's center axis.

Because it looks good, balances better and works quite well in more open, sparse-target areas, I prefer it. What I can't figure is why White's hasn't used this nice open-frame design for the MX Sport and MX-7? It would be much more appealing, I believe, to the hole-in-the-middle and dated 950. Performance afield is essentially the same between these two coils so it really gets down to looks and the balance & feel to determine a favorite.

Monte

Hello Wayfarer and Monte.

Thank you very much for your responses, I really appreciate it.

While reading your posts I decided not to buy a new 9" spider because
there is a very well tuned and deep going 950ish in the arsenal.
(I think all the new style ones are as deep as this one is.)
May be I can add a used one in the future if only balance is the goal.
(may be someone here in the neighborhood is going to trade for a 1400 DD or a Super 12)

Good Luck & Happy Hunting

Its lighter but all most the same as the 950 coil
DFXDon