Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Electrolysis for iron relics?

LaRelic

Been using electrolysis for some time now but have not figured out if it's best to let delicate iron objects dry out first or start them soon after digging them? Any input would be great. Thanks

There are many 'methods' and best ideas for the process of doing electrolysis for simple iron relics. Some good techniques and ideas can be obtained by simply searching the net and youtube vids on the subject. Personally, i start electrolysis soon after digging. I want to stop and/or eliminate rusting asap. Once I'm done, I'll make sure the iron is all dried out before putting on a coat of "x" to 'preserve' the iron (another topic and/or preference within itself). This is just what I do for simple iron relics and it has worked well for me.

Been a trial and error process for sure. Have ruined a few items along the way! Lol! Thanks for your comments!

I use a battery charger set on the lowest setting. Gotta go real slow and easy with the process that way you dont break the iron up into small pieces. If I fear this is gonna happen to a simple piece of iron, sometimes I'll bake the iron in the oven for a few mins to hopefully dry it of moisture, then cool it and brush it out by hand with a small wire brush and then coat it. No electrolysis in that case. It works for me. Just an idea. cch.

Yea will probably have to start doing some items by hand. Doesn't look as good as electrolysis but should do fine. The oven is a great idea, I normally use the sun but think the oven will be much more efficient. Thanks for the tips!!

Our Louisiana soil is not very kind to iron (or brass) relics. You might also consider a different source for electric current...there is a digital camera battery charger from Radio Shack with a variable output that works very well for smaller, more delicate items. If you are interested, PM me and I'll try to find the model number.