Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Eliptical vs Round

Ism

There are some areas I hunt by power lines (transformers in particular), that are very difficult because of EMI.
I'm talking about 100 ft away that is fairly brutal on the ears (especially when I set the detector down to dig).

It is generally accepted that eliptical coils are less affected by noise than round coils.
I'm curious about the EMI factor between the two. Is it significant or not enough to notice?

Not sure the coil shape will have any noticeable impact on the EMI impact you experience. A larger coil may be more susceptible.

A change in the operating frequency may address this - I have found that using on offset (+ or -) can correct or at least minimize the impact of EMI

Andy Sabisch

Thanks Andy, I often adjust the frequency when working in those areas as well as sensitivity.
Lower reactivity also makes quite a difference in reducing the noise.
It was a point of curiosity in consideration of the larger elliptical coil for the farm field hunts.
Some of the areas have power lines running through them about 300 ft from the road, not just at the road.
Really screws up some prime hunting.

Again, not sure how much the coil shape will impact EMI versus other adjustments or the overall coil size does.

Lower frequencies tend to be less effected by EMI than the higher ones . . . . I tend to drop to 8 or even 4 when working under high voltage power lines. Offsetting the frequency may help a little - see if a +1 or -1 setting helps

Reactivity - the higher the setting the more susceptible to EMI the detector will be.

Increasing the Silencer setting can get rid of some of the chatter so try bumping it up to 3 or 4 when you get into a bad area

Sensitivity is another feature that lower can help . . . but be careful as the drop in detection depth increases as you go lower; i.e., once you get below 85, each number produces a greater drop in detection depth

Hope these help . . .

Andy Sabisch

Andy, funny thing is I have tried lower freq's under power lines. Everything is noisier than 12khz.
I've even tried offsets. I haven't changed silencer mode, so I will try that when I get a chance.

A DD coil may be slightly less sensitive to EMI than a concentric, but I don't think a round coiln is more prone to EMI than a eliptical.

Hobo lobo said:
A DD coil may be slightly less sensitive to EMI than a concentric, but I don't think a round coiln is more prone to EMI than a eliptical.

Maybe not, I read it somewhere about elyptical vs round but that was for concentric. Now I can't find it.