Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Epic week in the heartland...bucketlisters

IowaRelic

Took my partner, the DEUS and the Nox back to Iowa for a week. Conditions were perfect weather wise but were thick and some fields still in corn stalks and high grass. So not perfect but not bad. These are pics of what made it into the keeper pile. Notice the dragoon 1830s eagle buttons, tombacs, small floral one pieces and an 1831 LC. By far my favorite find is the dragoon buttons (that’s my research and local history at its pinnacle right there) as the dragoon’s formed in 1833 just miles from the bean field I found them in. We located 6 in total. I found 5 and dug 4, left one for my father in law to dig. Other standout relic is the 3-4 pound bell clapper at top center. Located only inches from the dragoon buttons. Unfortunately most of the site is lost to terracing of the field. I’m blessed to find what I did. Finds are from southeast iowa and west central Illinois along the great big muddy.
6B8EB905-79BA-4122-A388-04DB31AC9CDC.jpeg
29B8186B-5700-4CCD-8D8A-44B40FA45D6E.jpeg
21879AD7-C4C3-4A14-872C-022DFCD78FC5.jpeg
D313F6CD-2FAA-44EA-A1B7-392D02BFDC34.jpeg
7CA14722-C95A-48AD-AB08-B49A1E07B325.jpeg

that is one SLAMMIN' hunt!!!! congrats on all those great finds... I start getting more excited about the relics than the coins... and I am a coin shooter... awesome, awesome hunt, I'm laid up for just a bit so I have to live through the posts on here.. this one has lived up to my dreams... congrats again...

that is one SLAMMIN' hunt!!!! congrats on all those great finds... I start getting more excited about the relics than the coins... and I am a coin shooter... awesome, awesome hunt, I'm laid up for just a bit so I have to live through the posts on here.. this one has lived up to my dreams... congrats again...
Yes relics are what get me. Coins are a bonus but are tough to find on a really old site. I was at a supposed 1850s school (corn field) for the large cent. Silver came from an old yard that had a newer home on it. The v nickel and Indians came from a tiny city park in Illinois. All the wheats from the same spots.

Incredible harvest of relics and coins!!

Im trying to get back to IA where my Dad grew up. Family moved to ID in ‘36 so the old homestead has never been detected, it was a farm too. I would love to be that lucky!!!!!

Last edited:
Im trying to get back to IA where my Dad grew up. Family moved to ID in ‘36 so the old homestead has never been detected, it was a farm too. I would love to be that lucky!!!!!
Nothing like hunting old family ground. Our farm has been in the family since the 1870s. My partner dug a 1829 capped bust half dime in our melon field. It’s by far the best find I’ve seen come from that property. We have lived on it for so long and had so many buildings and equipment over the years, the fields is where you have to hunt to avoid loads of modern trash. And even then there is just hundreds of modern bullets and shell casings in every field. I do better on other properties honestly 😆.
My favorite thing in this hobby is using my original print 1872 plat map for the township, locating a home site, getting on the four wheeler and going to find it. Seeing how far off they are, and sometimes never finding them at all is part of it. Seeing pottery and brick on the surface and then hitting iron. Man it gets me pumped. Most sites contain no modern trash except the odd bud can, a copenhagen, and some bullets and shells. Good targets outnumber the trash in these places as they’ve been forgotten before the turn of the 20th century.

Nice finds. I like the Dragoons buttons as well. I also dug an American Knife Co. pocket knife last year like yours. Nice research and hunting.