Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

EXP II Falsing with X-1 Probe installed

Sridge

I recently purchased a good used X-1 Probe. Worked well the first few times out, now my detector falses low tones when jiggled or swung. I suspect a worn wire somewhere within in the X-1 unit. It doesn't appear to be the probe itself. That works fine when activated. I've tried different coils and detecting with and without the unit installed. The falsing only occurs when the probe is installed. Another weird thing is that my pinpointing with the big coil is way off-center when the probe is installed. I know that these aren't made anymore, which is why I had to buy a used one. Are they still serviced? Also, any ideas on what to look for? The wiring inside the box is fine, so I think its something inside one of the cables. I'm going to miss this thing until I can get it fixed! Time to go back to the Garrett Pro-Pointer until all is sorted out.

BigTony:
I believe that I have a bad ground or loose wire somewhere. I have been in contact with Sunray and they have been very helpful in my diagnosing the potential problem. I am trying to pinpoint what is wrong with the unit prior to sending it in for service. They can service the unit as long as certain parts aren't bad, as those parts aren't available anymore.

I had a similar problem my X-1 probe, falsing and when in pinpoint mode it wouldn't pinpoint, just a constant tone.
Opened the case up and found a bad solder joint on one of the connector pins. Re soldered them all and the problem cleared up. another possibility is moisture getting into the box. I was hunting in the drizzly rain and it started falsing whether in pinpoint mode or target mode. Took it out of the circuit and dried it off in the car under the heater for 5 minutes and was able to use it again.

Mine had various strange things happen also time to time. It works great...just took mine off to iliminate weight and bought a Garrett Pro Pointer AT waterproof which is amazing and I am much happier with it. Selling my Sun Ray!

Mine does to.. I removed them both from 2 Explorers and will be selling for far more than they are worth!!! Garbage!

John-I have read many of your posts and it seems you have some very strong opinions and thoughts on some things. It doesn't matter "how long you've been in the game" or "how much experience you have with something" but at times your statements are just plain wrong. To call the X-1 probes "garbage" would only apply if it was completely ruined beyond repair and it was LITERALLY garbage....as in...there is nothing to be gained from working on it or trying to fix it so I'm going to put it in the garbage. To declare they are garbage by design or otherwise is ludicrous. Do you know how much many CTX users would pay for a similar probe if they were made?
Actually this is going nowhere,opinions are like buttholes and everyone's got one. Starting to wonder though....

First off this is not confrontational but, rather a long time members perspective.

That is a tough stance calling them garbage. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but, lets be honest they are not "garbage".
Nothing else really can utilize the Explorers capabilities for its design quite like the X-1 could.
Many-many people have had great success and have been very happy using them. Heck people are paying more the $100+ more for a used one still today over the initial selling price when in production. I doubt that would be happening if they where "garbage".
Granted you might have decided it was not best for you but, to call it "garbage" is a little unfair imho.

Ralph at SunRay has always made some excellent products that where huge hits and the X-1 was one of those hits.
Not to mention his customer service has always been top notch.
Me personally, I have used one since year 2000 +/- and could not have been happier.

On a side note: Did you ever contact Ralph and talk to him or someone else to see if they could resolve the problems you had with it?

Yes.. I have talked with Ralph in the early tears abouy it and purchased his first Sun Ray headphones and coils also..... Yes maybe saying garbage was a bit to hard ..It was the best at the time! No doubt! And there was a way to hip mount it at the time but I never did. ...Ralph in the beginning was going to work and improve deth of the next generation but never did as far as I know. I have the one also that came out when the Exp2 came out and I can tell no difference..... It's best feature is it allows you to hear what the detector hears. ...but thats the only advantage over the Carrot, Land and Sea and a few others under $130. 3 major disadvantages is that detection depth for a coin is just over 2 inches, It add far too much weight to an already heavy detector and it limits the depth of water you detect. Not to mention the hundreds of times after digging a target I forgot to turn it off and continued detecting for 3-5 minutes before I realized it was still on! LOL .... one more thing is I'm convinced that signals are decreased in strength having to pass thru the pointer box to the detector control box. BUT like you say..to each his own... I will be selling my 2 soon ... One I bought soon after I got my Exp 1 or XS and the other came with a used Exp2 I bout 3 years ago. They work great and never had a problem with them.

I agree garbage was way too brash and I wrote another comment on this from you... should be near this comment somewhere explaining that I meant for the money the carroet has more benefits if your going to pay 100+ dollars for a pin pointer. Just the the Sun Ray Probe is outdated.. but it was the best for its time! I have been detecting with 2 Explores since 2002.