Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F19 iron volume

hairymonsterman

I'm finding the fixed 0-40 for iron audio a bit odd.
The reson is if im hunting around small iron and nails for low conductors, that say ID in the 50's, the iron pulls down the ID to under 40.
If im running say iron volume @12, it's possible i could miss the target.
Is there any way to adjust the iron volume within the 0-40, say set to 27 and have the rest of the scale 28-40 not affected by the low volume?

Regarding your specific question, I don't think so. Iron (0-40) on the F19/G2+ will either not register in volume (if set at 10) or discriminated out or will be assigned a low grunt no matter what number shows up as long as its between 0-40.

I don't recall your experience happening to me and my F19. I'm not sure I understand it well either. Can you be more specific as to what exactly happened ? What were you looking for that was in the 50's and how do you know the iron made that specific target register under 40. Were you trying some kind of nail board test or was this in actual ground ? If the ferrous target is right next to the non ferrous and more specifically higher, the detector might not even see the non ferrous target until you remove the nail or distance it from the target you were looking for.

It's a target in my test bed, a piece or iron about the size of a 3" nail with a small silver coin next to it, coin gives an ID of 50.
I set the F19 to tone break on a similar size nail and it picks up ok on the coin when i sweep, but the iron then drops the coins ID to under the 40 point so if i have my volume at 15 to reduce iron tone volume, i also reduce the high tone for the coin.
I was hoping there was a way to adjust, but i guess not?

Your silver coin Id's at 50 ? It must be super small. A Canadian fish scale 5 cents coin which is smaller than a common copper penny in diameter, virtually weightless and wafer thin ID's at 78 on my F19. Even small silver ear rings will ID in the low 70's. When you air test your coin, does it still ID at 50 ? Sorry if I can't be of much help regarding your question but that number 50 really surprises me.

Do you have any other detector that you can test your "issue" with ? I wish other people could chip in. I'm not sure what is happening here.

Yes it IDs at 50, its a standard silver hammered penny we find in the UK, very thin and old. The new Impact also IDs it in the low 20s.in disc modes.
It would be much easier if you could adjust the break point for the iron volume within the 0-40 range.

Of course, a hammered silver coin ! I should have known. We don't have these here so I tend to forget they ID much lower than even our smallest silver modern stuff. Well modern for you guys anyway.

I'm still trying to understand your predicament. When you say the nail is close to the coin, how close ? Right next to it or above it ? When you say the coin ID's as iron, what are your exact settings on the machine regarding V-Break, any notches you might have, discrimination and usual volume setting. I'm just wondering if I can replicate the issue myself.

The only thing I can think of is that the nail being the bigger target and depending on how close it is to the silver coin, it could be making it impossible for the machine to separate the nail from the coin. The coin becomes effectively masked.