Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finds in central France - help?

SeanK

I just bought an old mill in central France and been metal detecting in an area with many old walls (believed to have been a medieval village or possibly a military Camp). The area goes back to Roman times and may have had French Military on-site during the Napoleon era. There are also dozens of Bronze Age cairn graves in the near by forest- so a lot of history.

I found a Small old stone quarry close by and a large stone mason‘s chisel a couple of hundred meters in the opposite direction - plus loads of Metalwork finds- especially many small metal strips across hundreds of meters - examples as seen in the photo. Most were about 15-20cm deep sitting in a thick layer of small stones... very hard to dig so doesn’t help with judging the age.

The first find of interest is at bottom of the first photo - the thin pick like object.

My first thoughts are it is part of a lock but is only 2mm thick. It shows as mixed metals on my AT Pro.
7B073573-B66E-40D1-8207-BC79D0B2E189.jpeg

And on to the next-
A few hundred meters away at the base of an old watch tower I also found some items including coins from (possible one from
1300?) 1650ish (for sure) plus the next items of interest -

A type of Fleur de Lis broach? And a small circlular item with a small metal rod going into some type of organic thread/material winding.

I’m very new to detecting and way out of my depth so would appreciate and help in identifying them.

Any ideas?
4441812D-9C0A-40F0-8744-3BF693F678D3.jpeg
117B14A8-D0D9-48B3-8F16-3F6701735B0D.jpeg

Last edited:
The very bottom picture is a pin fire shotgun shell base, predates modern center fire shells. I think your spot on with the lock piece. Keep searching you doing great!
HH Jeff

Howdy SeanK-- Nice group of relics! I agree with Jeff about that pinfire brass. And welcome to this forum! Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel