Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finds that don't fit....And a question...

A

Anonymous

I dug this "cut" 1798 8 reales piece at a 1940s era park a few years ago.Nothing in all the research I have done since indicates any history at the site before 1940.Was it hauled in with fill? An isolated campsite? Who knows,I'm sure we have all dug similar items that had no business being were they were.Since then I have dug a couple more smaller "bits" at sites you would be more likely to expect to find them at.My question,the cut marks on all of these are very smooth with almost sugical precision.Does anyone know what type cutting instrument would have been used to cut them?Was some type of scale used to make sure the reales were equaly divided?Have any of you guys ever wondered such things or am I just weird?

...to think of those questios or to even find Spanish silver in a modern park.There's a fellow not far from here who found a whole 8 Reales at such a spot years ago.I guess they had the world as their playgroung back then so any place is possible.Parks are great because they usually are large areas that have been undisturbed by urban sprawl and spared from too much disturbance.You can't deny that it may have come from some fill though.
On the cutting of coins into sharp-shins; here's passage that I have from an article about Spanish silver in the American colonies:

The cut marks may well have been made by a sharp chisel.One never knows were our ancestors may have dropped a coin.I tend to try to research spots to detect-to try and improve the odds of finding something good.I have a friend who just goes.He will take off across fields and forrests without a clue of the history of the area he is hunting.He doesn't find a lot-BUT- he does occasionaly make an eye-popping find in some out of the way place.I guess treasure is where you find it.