Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hours with the Vista X

buggg

Received the X a few days ago. I wanted something rather basic and deep. For beaches and Farm fields. Analog rather than digital. The X fits the bill. I bought the 6 x 8 coil also.
I like to learn a new detector using a small coil, less digging ! I took it to a fresh water beach, that consists of gravel and stones, with clay or sand between the stones. It can be a real bear digging deep on certain areas.
Ground balanced, set the gain rather high, and set the threshhold. Put the iron volume at 20, primary disc at 20 and secondary disc at 36 or so. I kept the disc higher as there is a fair amount of alum tabs and tidbits. Decided to give up nickels and gold. I have not found gold here in about 8 years, so no big deal. There were quit a a few targets, so I kept the trigger in the middle position. Listened for a smooth sound, then switched to all metal , then the sec. disc, and compared the sounds. If they all sounded alike, I dug. The deepest coin was a clad dime at 7-8 " . Not bad for a small coil. I walked away with about a dozen clads. This was in an area I checked a few days ago , with a different detector using a 13" coil.
Today I tried another part of the beach, where the trash is much thicker. Was not finding much good, and , bingo I started finding all kinds of iron. Ooops, then I realized i bumped one of the toggle switches into the all metal position.
I flipped it back into the middle spot and all was good. I decided I was ready for the 11 coil so I put it on, and went to a small section of the beach , that has smaller stones, mixed with sand for the top 5 inches, then its clay and stones..
Now this beach I also went over with the other machine with 13" coil. That machine is no slouch.
Using the vista x with the 11 coil, I started out running in all metal. The first quiet, smooth sounding target, I flipped to the first disc, and it sounded the same. I flipped to the second disc, and it sounded the same, This might be good!
I used a small hoe, as it was faster and easier digging, and thought I was going to hit China at any moment!. Finally the Garrett carrot sounded off. It turned out to be a square tab at 10" . Crap! I had the 2nd disc a bit too low. I put it up a bit and a few feet away, another soft smooth sound like the first dig. In the 9-10" range I hit a copper memorial cent. Paydirt! I hit another deep cent , a dime and quarter, not as deep but they were missed by the 13" coil. One of the coins I dug, It was soft and smooth audio in all metal, then in the 2 disc modes, it was a smooth sound with a tiny hesitate and blip on one side of the smooth sound. I wondered if it was a coin with a piece of iron near one side of the coin. Yes it was a small piece of wire near by. Mental note!
Conclusion. I have never found a coin that deep the first time out with a detector using the standard coil . As I become more familiar with the machine, I believe there will be deeper coins brought out into the light again. This puppy is deep! Going back to a " just audio machine again , was like reliving the past. I started out detecting in 1975 with just an audio machine. No Disc. I think the audio and toggle switching could get tiring after an all day hunt. But this machine fills a void in my tool box. For heavy target infested areas, I would use my VDI readout detector, but where the targets are spaced out a bit, and there is a chance for deep coins, the X will hit the spot! I really like the analog system, it just seems so much more accurate than alot of the digital units , that pop, sputter and fizz, over target less dirt, I cant see myself digging an empty hole with this machine. Its a keeper!

Nice Digs👍
I agree..have to be careful with that second switch..it can get bumped while hunting..be nice if there was some way to lock it in place...hh. joe

That was a great post " Buggg". We don't get many detailed posts like this about the X. Keep up the good work. Hope to hear more soon.

Bugg, Wonderful information. It only gets better as you learn the machine more and more. ( I have bumped the trigger into AM too, but you learn quickly). Thanks and HH Richard

Last edited:
Richard, you are awesome to deal with! I will post more of my adventures with the X , when I can squeeze in a hunt in my busy schedule!

I really like what can be done with the Vista X and the disc controls that register even the slightest movement. I was cherry picking wheaties from zincs and copper memorials the other day and only dug 2 copper memorials out of 14 wheaties! I also used it at zero gain and threshold with great success up to about 3" deep.