Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt with the 11" coil!:spin:

CZconnoisseur

Got the new 11" round coil Friday night and was able to get back to the fairgrounds with it last night for almost 4 hours. I must say - there is a BIG difference in the way targets sound with this coil, at least to my ears! I hunted the entire time in Andy's "High Performance Coin" program and set Disc to 3.0 I used Full Tones rather than setting breakpoints - it makes so much more sense to me and I see why the Minelab folks like using their detectors. Setting the Disc this low made some iron nails come through, but there was no question when I got over iron vs a good signal. I also found that slowing the sweep speed made some of the iron targets try to bleed through. Sweeping faster over the same target clipped the iron signal and made it more identifiable. I tried this over a "coin" signal and it made no difference, fast or slow sweep speed, in the way the signal sounded. A 5" dime signal with a couple small iron bits sounded off clearly, and there was no question of whether of not to dig!

I remembered a post or video saying that slowing the sweep speed has a similar effect as increasing the reactivity without losing depth. Reactivity is set at "1" for this program, and in moderately trashy areas...so far...it seems to do just fine. Control box is on its way, then I will be able to totally tweak the detector for this site

The two Mercs came out from under a red clay-and-rocks layer which was used for the parking lot about 40 years ago. They were 5-6" deep and sounded like they were around 2-3" compared to using the large coil! Found a few clad coins around 2-3" down which had the same signal intensity as the deeper coins

The first coin found with the 11" coil was a 1939 Merc - after digging a couple of modern bullets and a piece of copper wire. This coil has a very crisp response and deeper iron is readily recognizable! Only dug 2 bottlecaps this trip, which is good for me. An unusual find was a holed 1938 Farthing - very far from home!

I marked some of the iffy signals that I located with the larger coil and rescanned them last night - seems like this coil has better separation from what I could tell...one of those iffy signals turned out to be a 1949 Jeff nickel I walked over before - another one was still iffy; dug it anyway to get a random piece of lead.

11" round coil is a surefire winner in my book - responses seem to be much crisper, and detection depth is much deeper, and separation *may be* a little better. Will know for sure when I hit the roller coaster section of the fairgrounds!

Wow, wow, wow! Thanks for that exciting update! I have a coil on back order. Supposed to come with the next shipment from France sometime mid-March.

Sweet finds and thanks for the comments on the 11" coil!!

Like Andy said, its gonna be a game changer in our hobby!!