Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Impressions with the Xterra Pro

bigtim1973

I am very pleased at how much more robust the new shaft is. Way more sturdy with this set up compared to what the 1st generation equinox shaft shape and locking collars were.

And the adjustable control pod is a great feature that I am sure other companies may follow.

The only tools needed were supplied and it is just to attach the armcuff

The screen is nice and big. That was one thing I really liked about the equinox units.

The red light is great in low light conditions too.

So i took it out ans tried it in my test bed.

It hits a nail infested silver dime in my test garden. The dime is on edge with 3 square nails and 1 modern rusty galvanized roofing type. The nails vary from. 3/4 of an inch above to being on the same plain as the dime in the ground.

Now I am not saying the numerical ID is correct. But it does sound off on the dime swinging in both directions approaching from a certain angle.

It did this very well in all 3 frequencies with the reactivity set at 2 and 3 with a normal sweep speed.

Now, I must say that my deus 2 hits it very well too but, it too does not ID the coin correctly in the TID numbers either in every swing.

I sat that particular target up for testing a unit in extreme circumstances.

So with this being said.....comparing a 1300.00 or more, depending on which configuration package is purchased, XP flagship unit to a 269.00 retail price from a competitive manufacturer lower end model.....this result on the Xterra Pro is by no means shabby at all in my book!!!

It also hits an 8 inch buffalo nickle very well in all 3 freq and with all 3 reactivity settings well too.

Am looking forward to getting on a real hunt with it.

I am very pleased at how much more robust the new shaft is. Way more sturdy with this set up compared to what the 1st generation equinox shaft shape and locking collars were.

And the adjustable control pod is a great feature that I am sure other companies may follow.

The only tools needed were supplied and it is just to attach the armcuff

The screen is nice and big. That was one thing I really liked about the equinox units.

The red light is great in low light conditions too.

So i took it out ans tried it in my test bed.

It hits a nail infested silver dime in my test garden. The dime is on edge with 3 square nails and 1 modern rusty galvanized roofing type. The nails vary from. 3/4 of an inch above to being on the same plain as the dime in the ground.

Now I am not saying the numerical ID is correct. But it does sound off on the dime swinging in both directions approaching from a certain angle.

It did this very well in all 3 frequencies with the reactivity set at 2 and 3 with a normal sweep speed.

Now, I must say that my deus 2 hits it very well too but, it too does not ID the coin correctly in the TID numbers either in every swing.

I sat that particular target up for testing a unit in extreme circumstances.

So with this being said.....comparing a 1300.00 or more, depending on which configuration package is purchased, XP flagship unit to a 269.00 retail price from a competitive manufacturer lower end model.....this result on the Xterra Pro is by no means shabby at all in my book!!!

It also hits an 8 inch buffalo nickle very well in all 3 freq and with all 3 reactivity settings well too.

Am looking forward to getting on a real hunt with it.
Tim, a question about the 8 inch deep Buffalo nickel. Does the Pro ID it correctly with tones and numbers. I don't know what the correct number would be on the new Minelab scale. I have had many single frequency detectors hit nickels,but not have the correct number or tone. These nickels were all deeper(6-:geek: inches. Thanks Ray

Tim, a question about the 8 inch deep Buffalo nickel. Does the Pro ID it correctly with tones and numbers. I don't know what the correct number would be on the new Minelab scale. I have had many single frequency detectors hit nickels,but not have the correct number or tone. These nickels were all deeper(6-:geek: inches. Thanks Ray
No it does not ID the correct number. On an air test I get 28 for a nickle.

I am getting 77 to 83 on the one in my test bed in field 1 and 2. And in park one it seems to hang around in the 54 to 62 range.

I'll be interested in Tim's reply as well.

I haven't gotten over a nickel yet, but I suspect it may depend on what frequency you're using. That is something that I will experiment with when I start hunting residential permissions.

If you look in the Post above the one you replied to you will see my results.

Now this is with all 3 freq and trying all 3 settings on reactivity as well.

The little test bed I have currently is set up for kind of iffy signals.

In other words.....it is not set up for correct ID but set up more for picking out items in trash with good visual ID or not.

It does hit a 6 inch clad quartet with correct ID though

If you look in the Post above the one you replied to you will see my results.

Now this is with all 3 freq and trying all 3 settings on reactivity as well.

The little test bed I have currently is set up for kind of iffy signals.

In other words.....it is not set up for correct ID but set up more for picking out items in trash with good visual ID or not.

It does hit a 6 inch clad quartet with correct ID though
What I want to see is what it does in each mode and each frequency on undisturbed targets at various depths. The new Pro hasn't been out long enough for there to be any real consensus on TIDs, and there may well never be one, as soil conditions vary so much.

I don't put much stock in air test results. Most are improperly done anyway. If you feel the need to air test, at least have the coil flat on real ground so the machine has something to ground balance to, then pass the coin over the coil. It still won't mean much, but is better than having the coil hanging out in mid-air. At that it isn't going to give you a real impression of depth capability, but might be a general indication of TID range to pay attention to if such things matter to you.

Took it for a spin in a 70s yard. Well it bangs out great on targets.....however so far I am not getting great VDI numbers.

Now with that said....the signals I did get were ones left over from other units I did not dig because they were questionable in the first place.

I dug a whatzit and 2 pennies. The copper penny was surrounded with some trash so I cannot comment on correct ID.

Same with a zinc on edge...but it was in the 57 to 60s range on the zinc.

I am gonna have to have more time to really get a grasp at what it can do.

I still like it...it is a fun unit for sure.

Bigtim,thanks for the review. . Biggest gripe I’m seeing so far with the xterra pro is the visual ID sucks on deeper targets? In all fairness 85 % of the machines on the market suck at visual ID at depth, I’ve owned about everything at least once so I can attest to that..Does the Xterra Pro false on iron like the Vanquish series does? I had several vanquish machines and they all made any kind of rusty iron sound like a coin ,I dug a lot of junk ..If the xterra pro dont false on iron then I’d say guys are getting too picky and passing up a lot of good target because we all know treasure in trash don’t always read like airtests..

Yes but not as much as what you would expect. It makes kind of a clipped hollow sound on iron. So it sounds kind of like an echo somewhat. But when you turn off the horseshoe it does quieten it down a lot.

So today I took it on a little maiden voyage in my mom in laws back yard. Now I have swung everything I have owned the past 16 years over there. Not much left...no screw caps or pull tabs either. I found that out today.

It will ID a coin pretty good enough and not vary much on ID when it is a good clean target.

However I took it around the trashy areas of the yard to see if it picks good targets out of iron.

And it does....but.....it does not necessarily ID them correctly

So you have to go by tones more than visual ID.

I found 4 pennies in an area that I passed up with other units because I thought it would be trash.

I dug about 8 coins total....2 were dimes.

For the money......it is a great unit.

I am finding I like to hunt in field 1 and 2 more than park.

To be honest though as you have already said......even the high dollar units does not always get the TID right either!!!

Oh and also on the vanquish compared to this xterra....being multi freq it did false more in iron. Since this new xterra is single freq it is easier to deal with. Not perfect but your not going to be swinging and chasing ghost signals anywhere near as much.

Hey Tim, I guessing you are pretty happy with the XTP. I agree with your statement that the pro like some other machines is really tone dominated as far as target reporting goes. I noticed that in my two outings with it. Although some targets did ring up very similar to the VDI that I am getting on my Simplex.....like pennies coming in around 63 to 66...on the pro and 65 thru 69 on my Simplex. Maybe in your soil there pennies ring up differently than here in NE Indiana?

Anyway.....best of luck out there in the future and thanks again.

Hey Tim, I guessing you are pretty happy with the XTP. I agree with your statement that the pro like some other machines is really tone dominated as far as target reporting goes. I noticed that in my two outings with it. Although some targets did ring up very similar to the VDI that I am getting on my Simplex.....like pennies coming in around 63 to 66...on the pro and 65 thru 69 on my Simplex. Maybe in your soil there pennies ring up differently than here in NE Indiana?

Anyway.....best of luck out there in the future and thanks again.
Yes it is a nice unit. I like the control rod set up and especially the large display.

Thanks Steve!!