Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First serious hunt with the Smart

Reeseb

Took the Smart to an old park today to see if I could figure how to make it do what I need it to do: find deep targets in moderately trashy parks. I started out digging everything non-ferrous to get used to the sounds (foil, pop tabs, clad, pop can shards,etc) because at first I was trying find a way to tell a coin from trash by the sound.

Then I thought about what Keith Southern said: you can tell a deep target from the sound. So I switched gears and listen carefully before digging and noted what the deeper targets sounded like. Something clicked and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could actually pass over shollow targets and dig just the deeper ones. I dug 6 targets each 6 inches and deeper amongst many, many surface trash (and probably clad) targets. All 6 deep targets were either clad or old style pull tabs.

This is very encouraging. I am now convinced that with more practise I'll be able to go anywhere that is a moderately trashy (what I mean by moderate is approximately 1 trash target every couple feet ) and hut for deeper targets between the shallow ones.

Got one keeper. A 1919 wheatie. The grass was wet and in most spots my coil was falsing quite bit. This definitely made things tougher and I wasn't able to use boost mode. I trust that DeepTech will replace my coil under warranty.

To clarify: I dug 6 deep targets one after the other while passing on shallow targets. I just hope I can remember that sound tomorrow when I try it again. It will probably take a few digs to get in the 'zone' again.