Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

first silver FTY - seated half

DougF

I've been out a total of five times this year - too many other things going on. I went yesterday morning to a spot in a hammered park where a few years ago I found a seated quarter and a CW era officer's button. The conditions were not good, the dirt was bone dry, and the grass was high. i searched for a hour or so and picked up a few clad dimes and memorials. I was looking for deep signals, but not finding many. Did see a baby garter snake. Finally hit a deep signal showing depth of 8 or 9 inches, and it had the silver sound. I switched the detector to manual from semi-auto and the signal got better. When I "Xed" over the target it didn't move, so I got my hopes up. Dug down about 8 inches in the dry rocky soil and found the half dead center in the hole. An 1860-O half, my oldest silver coin.

Attachments

• 1860-O half in dirt.jpg
    1860-O half in dirt.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1563.JPG
    IMG_1563.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 300
Very nice find and dream coin for me.

Ron in WV

Find of a lifetime right there,that should motivate you to get back out there.
Those deep signals are where the good stuff is, nice work.

I went back to this location on Monday (6/:geek:, but the grass was still high and I found no silver. Went back this morning, and the guy had just finished mowing, so I went at it. First deep silver signal was about 3 feet from where I found the seated half. Eight inches down was a 1877 seated quarter. A little ding on the reverse, I think because of all the small rocks in the soil. When I loosened the soil, it must have rubbed against a stone. Had another deep silver signal nearby, but when I got 6 inches down the pinpointer indicated at the side of the bottom, which is a bad sign. Turned out to be a rusty cut nail. Only hunted for 1.5 hours, got too hot for me (no shade in this spot).

Attachments

• IMG_1567.JPG
    IMG_1567.JPG
    365.7 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1568.JPG
    IMG_1568.JPG
    513.7 KB · Views: 240
You have an awesome park to hunt in!! Congratulations on the beautiful seated coins!!!!

I've been out a total of five times this year - too many other things going on. I went yesterday morning to a spot in a hammered park where a few years ago I found a seated quarter and a CW era officer's button. The conditions were not good, the dirt was bone dry, and the grass was high. i searched for a hour or so and picked up a few clad dimes and memorials. I was looking for deep signals, but not finding many. Did see a baby garter snake. Finally hit a deep signal showing depth of 8 or 9 inches, and it had the silver sound. I switched the detector to manual from semi-auto and the signal got better. When I "Xed" over the target it didn't move, so I got my hopes up. Dug down about 8 inches in the dry rocky soil and found the half dead center in the hole. An 1860-O half, my oldest silver coin.
Congrats, very nice find!