Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Firts outing with my MXT - what a beast!

A

Anonymous

Well - I had a few hrs to go out this morning with the MXT. First real chunk of time with it.
I hunted for 1 hr with the settings as follows : gain 7 / 0 disc / c/j mode / trigger switch center position / hum discernable
I went to an agricultural park where there are shows a few times a year. lots of grass to dig, with no one around.
finds listed :
VDI depth item
22 4 pulltab
5 3 5cents
74 3 piece rusted steel
16 2 foil
-30 3 iron clip
-13 1 wire loop
77 1 metal plate
28 2 alum strip
0 2 foil
-27 3 iron clip
60-70 8"+ alum part of can (wow - pretty deep - and gain at 7..)
0-8 1 rusty bottle cap
0-4 2 foil
30-50 4 rusty metal plate
-20 2 rusty bolt
+74 2 old screw cap
12-14 2 half pulltab
+62 2 $1 coin - first valuable find!
So it was quite a spread of stuff. I have started getting better at pinpointing already, and have decide in c/j mode i like ot hear the hum as i can hear the quite patches of items discriminated out.
I did find that it will take some getting used to using the unit as the ctrl box sort of hits yr hip if you try swing the coil right around (compared to the BH Pioneer 202), but the balance is good - still dont like plonking the crtl box down ont the ground -am going to buy covers.
On the way back to the car i dedided to try relic mode 4 a few mins - and i noticed that it strated beeeping and IDing items while i wasnt even swinging the coil - this worried me and i locked the ground and held the coil in the air - it still did it...
suspecting undrground power lines i walked to the previous spot, and the unit was quiet/stable. I then went back to the "noisy" spot and it was noisy again - musts been undergrnd cable- phew.....
So im looking fwd to nxt outing!
John

John,
Whites make a stand for the MXT for $6.95, it will keep control box off the ground. For what they charge for he detectors, seems they could afford to throw in a decent stand. But the dust cover would be good also. HH. Scotty

About that nickel? I normally get nickels at 18-20
oak -- sweet home Alabama

Sounds like a great outing, Little curious about a vdi reading of 5 on a nickel. I have not dug one under 14. Most of the time they come in at a bouncing 18-20 vdi. And yes under ground or over head high voltage powerlines will makes the machine act up. Sounds like your getting off to a good start. Good luck and keep us posted.You could probally run the gain on atleast pre set and still have a smooth machine and get a little more depth.
Ray

Hi All,
remember that 5c piece was a New Zealand 5c piece - where I live - a cupro/nickel coin.
thanks for the comments,
JOhn

Hi Scotty,
wouldnt the stand hit your waist all the time when sweeping? A spring loaded pop up stand may be good!
John

John,
Not sure how your holding the unit but I have never had a problem like that. I am right handed and use my left hand for swinging the machine while my right holds my main digger.
I'm a fat guy and still have no problem with it hitting my fat ass!...lol
Your investigating with VDI readings will pay you back. Nice start. Nickels do usually read 18-20.
HH
Johnny B

I'm a Sharpshooter user also. I prefer my MXT. I would turn up the disc a little. The relic mode has the 2 tone audio. I've got the new 5" excellerator coil. I'm going to use it this weekend. Have fun with the MXT. Welcome to the forum.