Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!



Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fixed my Coil Ears !!

angelito1

Member
Well I finally got around to fixing the coil ears on my xterra coil... Shout out to Keith Appleton on youtube... I started by making a small flat half moon shaped piece and attaching it to the ear with JBweld, (on both coils the broken pieces were lost) waited for that to bond overnite.. (1st pic 5jpg ) waited for the jbweld to do its magic, meanwhile I cut out some ABS plastic for the coil ears , and shaped it, heated, bent, etc.. (2nd pic 0jpg) Next I made an ABS slurry with acetone and minute pieces of ABS and attached the two pieces to the outside of the coil ears with a generous coating of the slurry... waited for that to dry overnite .. I then sanded it down with 100 grit then 120 grit and finally with 320 grit sandpaper...after that I brushed on straight acetone to meld it ( it seemed to fill in a few pin sized holes) I then resanded with 320 grit and taped of the coil connection and the sticker, painted it with krylon camo paint, (good on plastic) I must say it is extremely strong, works perfectly, and I am happy with the results! The bolt is a little short so I purchased a 2 pack of 2inch nylon bolts from Lowes which I will paint black... I probably did not follow Mr Appleton's direction to the letter , but it turned out pretty well (for me anyway)
 

Attachments

  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 47

TerryEastTexas

Well-known member
That's a good job you did. I had to do something similar to mine a few years back.
 

momule

Active member
Excellent Work! Than god that the X-Terra had less problem with this than the Nox had!!
 

angelito1

Member
Thanks! The combination of JBWeld and the ABS slurry mixture really fortified those ears... I don't think they will ever break again!! I'll squeeze a few more years out of my x70 for sure... I am giving some serious thought to doing preventive strike on my Nox's ears
 
Top