Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

For Alabama CW Relic Hunters

Canewrap

I've noticed that there are a few other Alabama relic hunters reading this forum and there's a question I've been dying to ask of other guys in Alabama, but I just don't know any relic hunters here anymore. Not long after I got into relic hunting here (about 5 years ago) a hunting partner moved, another died, and a couple others just seemed to drop off the map.

Anyway, are most of the camp sites you've found on ridges and high ground? I only know of one site that was on a flat area in Limestone County. Seems like back when there were more wooded areas the areas below the ridge lines probably didn't drain too well. I've seen references in the ORs to Alabama as having a lot of swampy areas and at least one entry where an officer was begging his CO for permission to move his camp to higher ground because of the unhealthy nature of where they were camped. Seems that if that's true its a clue on where to look when trying to puzzle out where a camp might have been, in North Alabama anyway.

I'm from the north west part of AL, most camps were close to water sources, plus the higher elevation had less mosquitoes to contend with than the lower elevations, being a military advantage to use the high ground.