Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fors Core acting up

jerry123

I've been out about 15 times with my new fors core. I ground balance on metal free ground. I use the D-12 mode. Sens 96 masking set at 15. No power lines for 1 mile. Relic hunting war of 1812 site in woods. Machine runs quiet for 15 to 20 minutes and then starts to get noisy and increases in intensity. Turn off and turn on machine ok for awhile and goes bad. Put large coil on same thing so I don't think it's the coil. Same thing at different site miles apart.
Has anyone else have similar issue? I hope I don't have to send it to Turkey.

Thanks Jerry

naturally, is the battery strength and the battery system in general. Batteries, or even one of the four batteries, could have discharged too much and one or more weak batteries could be the problem. Also, open the battery door to double-check and make sure all are inserted with the proper polarity. It only takes one backwards battery to cause a problem. Finally, if you're not positive, you can always change out all four batteries and try to duplicate the condition you mention. If it happens, then it's not the batteries, and if there isn't any further issue, the batteries are at fault.

You also could try a different search coil, and also try a different search mode for the same amount of time.

Monte

[size=small]PS: The two numbered search modes are DI2, like Di2, and DI3, such as Di3, as the 'D' and 'I' are letters, followed by a '2' or '3' for 2-Tone or 3-Tone search mode.[/size]

What are you ground balancing at? Where I hunt I GB when the machine gets a little antsy. The ground sounds like a Dillon electric gun. When it stops I GB to get it back to normal. Now I tried something the other day, running the machine at 90 on the GB, where it comes on at. Worked superbly for me. I'm thinking these machines see so much in the ground it's really hard to get a good balance not unless you are hunting very clean dirt. When you hold the coil in the air does it do it?

Thanks Monte and Jack, Good information and will check the things you mentioned this evening.
Do you know where to send if it is defective?

Jerry

From your post I'd say you just might be seeing a lot of stuff in the ground. When I posted one of my videos people thought it was very noisy, chattery. It wasn't, that was the nails I was hunting in. These machines when you are used to a lot of the machines before these would be considered out of control sensitivity wise, very chattery, falsing a lot. Well they are seeing stuff in the ground. However being ablt to see stuff other detectors can't comes at a price, more targets sounding off. I love it! Let us know how several more hunts go. Also leave the sensitivity at 50, you're really not gaining much. These machines when you raise the gain up that high go into another world of detecting and different sounds on targets. I rarely ramp up mine that high anymore, you don't have too.

Removed batteries voltage is good. Took the fors core to lake erie beach in Western NY. Machine ground balanced at 88 because of the black sand. Found a good spot to bury a nickel at 4" measured with ruler. Checked all 4 modes with good signal. At 6" D12 scratchy signal in. D13 just a chirp. COG slight signal. GEN good signal. At 8" no signal in D12, D13, COG. Gen had a decent signal.
D12 sens 96 masking id 23
D13 sens 99 masking id 10
COG sens 99 masking id 30
GEN sens 80
I think it should have done better than 6" might be the magnetite.
Machine did get erratic but not as bad as last time out.

Jerry

to different parts of this state [size=small](Oregon)[/size] and to different states, and have especially traveled around more since '83. There are some really ugly ground conditions folks have to deal with, and there are some very pleasant locations as well. It is difficult to do a "fresh bury" and expect to get good-to-better results because the ground has been disturbed and it just isn't a 'natural' type environment.

Now, that's not saying that we always get to search a 'natural' environment with long-time, undisturbed ground or targets. Often we will search a beach that gets churned around a lot. We might hunt a freshly plowed field, or one that is frequently turned and disturbed. I look for a lot of renovation work and, naturally, that is also freshly disturbed. Then, too, even undisturbed ground can be quite a problem to deal with.

I noticed a video posted today by Daniel TN and all I could see of the Ground Balance in his red clay type soil was 6-of-8 Fe3O4 Sections in the MMI read-out, but I couldn't see the Ground Phase read-out. Most of the places I hunt around where I live, or two of the high desert ghost towns I have worked a few times already this year and several of this regional parks, have had a Ground Phase setting of '81' to '86' and there are '6' or '7' pie segments out of '8' on the MMI chart that are filled.

Bad ground? I believe so. Does it impact the depth and overall performance of the Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer? Well, I guess it might, however ....

One thing I do know is I have hunted these sites for a long time, especially my favorite ghost town since May 4th of 1969. Yes, this coming Monday makes 46 years covering the same old town site, and I have used almost every make and model I have ever owned, from many manufacturers. How many? A wide assortment of makes and models, many that hobbyists today have never heard of, for over fifty years.

As an avid detectorist, I have made it a point to own and use more than one detector, and often more than one brand in my detector arsenal, along with search coils that work well for me and what I deal with. I do not like to have a detector in my personal "all-purpose" carry units if it fails to provide performance I need for various types of sites and conditions. I want to upgrade my detectors so that I have some of the best performance. This does not always mean depth because we can't always attain better depth, but it does mean to have an ability to out-perform other detectors by recovering potentially good targets in some of the more challenging sites [size=small](very trashy)[/size] I encounter.

I have been using some of the best detectors in all-around performance that are simple, straight-forward and reliable. This year I had to make some complete changes due to the fact that a better product was on the market which proved to me, during side-by-side, in-the-field evaluations, that I had a marked improvement in overall performance. The first to fit atop that category was the Nokta FORS CoRe. In actual field use I have not only recovered many targets that were masked or partially masked from detection by other detectors I used, but I have also pulled out some coins and similar smaller-size targets that were deeper.

I like to keep things simple and the FORS Coin & Relic is a simple, yet versatile, high-performance detector. Joining it as one of my regular-carry, top-performers is the co-company Makro Racer.

You were correct when you stated: "I think it should have done better than 6" might be the magnetite."

Settings used, search coils used, and sweep speed used, can all add to the performance we attain or it can detract from the performance we can attain. A 6" coin is still a deep coin in many challenging areas I hunt, regardless of the detector used.

I really love my FORS CoRe, especially working the 7X11 DD standard coil in the open grassy parks or on our beach areas.

Also, as I stated in my last post as a correction to your search mode description:

PS: The two numbered search modes are DI2, like Di2, and DI3, such as Di3, as the 'D' and 'I' are letters, followed by a '2' or '3' for 2-Tone or 3-Tone search mode. It is not a D 12 or D 13.

Finally, if the ground is bad and/or I want the best depth possible in challenging ground, I run my ID Mask at '10' and no more. There are times I reduce it a little, to perhaps '05' or so, as long as it is still helping to take out any ground or rock [size=small](hot rock)[/size] responses. Also, the best attainable depth is going to be in the GEN mode which is the Threshold-based All Metal search mode, and the 2-Tone Di2 mode, with similar Sensitivity settings, will usually be the next deepest responding search mode.

Where I usually hunt, most good targets are not all that deep. Instead, they are, or were, masked by other targets that were in great abundance, with a lot of those being iron to include dense amounts of nails. Just enjoy using your FORS and the best coil for the task. In time you'll find a coin or two that you consider to be 'deep' that other detecrtors struggle on.

Monte