Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fors Core depth

scannerguy1968

Ok, Got a new Fors Core with the pro pack. I've only tested it in my test bed where I have many coins set up for disc, recovery, separation, depth and other tests.
So far all is good with the stock coil but depth is not adding up to what I've read about this machine.
Once you go over 7" on a quarter it's a guessing game to dig or not. I am picking up a dime at 10" but a very iffy signal at best if at all. Should be happy with that I guess.
When I hit the deep coins as a 25 cent at 11 inches the vdi will jump all over from low 10's to 99 if at all.
I've ground balanced, even went slightly negative at times, running disc on 25 and gain is cranked to 95 or more while in DI2. Soil is running around 65.
I realize I'll have to play with it for another 10 hrs. in the test bed before I get to know it better. Also have to play with the Gen setting yet.
But the issue is I have another detector that I will not spell out the name other than it runs on 1 9 volt battery, few dials with no readout along with the stock coil is killing this machine for depth in the test bed. And that is with disc cranked up as high as it will go.
I've had minelabs, whites v3i, DFX, Couple fishers along with many garretts and this Core is looking to be right up there with the best of the best but this other featherweight detector I have might have me spoiled for depth.
I'm going to do some more actual hunting side by side and see. Along with put a you tube vid or two up eventually.
Any info on fine tuning or tips for depth to get me started on this would be great.
Or other users experience with depth.

I've had my core about a week and a half and my depth is about the same as yours, 7" on a quarter (in test burial), nothing to write home about. My ground min. #'s are about 60-70 here in CO. At least it goes a little deeper than my MX5. My long gone sovereign GT with the sef 10x12 would easily hit a quarter at 12" in my soil. What sold me was the U tube vid of the guy hitting a dime at 15" with the core then again I wouldn't want to dig that deep in the park.

Where the disappointment and the excitement is going to come is when you take it to a place you have scalded with your other machines and see just how much stuff they left behind. That's the difference you'll see in these machines. Run the stock coil then run the small and you'll be very surprised. There's more stuff than you can imagine in the first 5 or 6 inches of dirt that you'll shake your head at why you haven't found them until now. DI3 and stock setting is all you need right now for coin hunting. Small debri masking is the culprit that cripples other machines, these see right through it for some reason.

I think we all have to remember it is a single frequency 15 KHZ machine.. The separation seems to be the key operating function with the CoRe. Not so much huge depths on coins.

Now I am not saying you will not get some depth..but I don't think it will be in the 12" range or deeper on small copper and or Silver.. :)

scannerguy1968 said:
Ok, Got a new Fors Core with the pro pack. I've only tested it in my test bed where I have many coins set up for disc, recovery, separation, depth and other tests.
So far all is good with the stock coil but depth is not adding up to what I've read about this machine.
Once you go over 7" on a quarter it's a guessing game to dig or not. I am picking up a dime at 10" but a very iffy signal at best if at all. Should be happy with that I guess.
When I hit the deep coins as a 25 cent at 11 inches the vdi will jump all over from low 10's to 99 if at all.
I've ground balanced, even went slightly negative at times, running disc on 25 and gain is cranked to 95 or more while in DI2. Soil is running around 65.
I realize I'll have to play with it for another 10 hrs. in the test bed before I get to know it better. Also have to play with the Gen setting yet.
But the issue is I have another detector that I will not spell out the name other than it runs on 1 9 volt battery, few dials with no readout along with the stock coil is killing this machine for depth in the test bed. And that is with disc cranked up as high as it will go.
I've had minelabs, whites v3i, DFX, Couple fishers along with many garretts and this Core is looking to be right up there with the best of the best but this other featherweight detector I have might have me spoiled for depth.
I'm going to do some more actual hunting side by side and see. Along with put a you tube vid or two up eventually.
Any info on fine tuning or tips for depth to get me started on this would be great.
Or other users experience with depth.

Troy X-5?

No, Never had one. may as well say it but not wanting people to think I'm favoring another specific detector over this one. A Tesoro Vaquero
One thing I did do today is what JFlynn stated above. In my yard is a mess of items from years and years of building things. This Fors Core rattles non stop in it. Unreal the amount of conductive targets in my yard. This machine doesn't ingore anything. Will be curious if it will outdo the Vaq with a 1 grain 24k gold piece.

Vaquero was one of the deepest detectors I ever used. But I wouldn't want the singe tone in trash. Like others have said, performance in trash is where the Fors shines.

w

I had a hard time hitting a clad nickle at 8" and a clad quarter at 10". The VDI number degrades with depth also, so I sold it bought a Deus and never looked back. I pounded my yard with the Fors, I thought I cleaned it out till I got the Deus I found over $2. in change in that pounded area.

In my soil with a groud balance of 56, mild soil. I can hit a 10" nickel with proper ID and a 12" quarter with bouncy ID but good high tone in DI-3 mode with a gain of 97, GB=56, Mask=20. In DI-2 same results but deeper by about 2" but no ID on the quarter only sound. However the sound produced is a definitive dig. 14" nickels on dry sand beach are doable all day with 97-99 gain, COG Mode, 98 gain, gb=50, mask=20. My DFX cannot do the latter (Preamp=4, sens=77), neither can my Gamma Sens 94, disc 39, or BHID, CZ-20. However on wet sand the DFX, BHID, CZ-20 take the lead by about 2".

It's all about finding what works for you in your conditions. I would hope that with the price difference that the Deus would perform better in some situations.

w

Dollar-for-dollar, and comparing features, versatility of adjustments, and evaluating it in a wide range of hunting environments, its main 'rival,' if you will, has been the Makro Racer.

shoover said:
.... I pounded my yard with the Fors, I thought I cleaned it out till I got the Deus I found over $2. in change in that pounded area.
Well, I'd be willing to bet that if you still had the FORS CoRe, or let me or someone else hunt your yard with one, we'd still pull out coins you didn't with the Deus.

There's no perfect detector.

I like 'simple' but 'functional' and ample 'performance.' That means not a lot of tweaking and excessive adjustments that you have to change when you more from site-to-site, and I know quite a few people who do that. I am not a tinkerer, just a detectorist. There are a lot of very good detectors out there on the market that can work well for Coin Hunting typical sites. For example, the Omega is my favorite Teknetics. The MXT All Pro is my favorite White's, and their MX5 comes in a functional 2nd. I haven't used the Deus enough to learn it, just enough to know I didn't like it and wouldn't enjoy it, but it might be satisfying for some, I am sure.

I also don't care to pay a huge sum for a metal detector, and most certainly if I paid a sufficient amount more than the 'average' of what models I like, I would expect a LOT more out of in in the way of depth, trash handling, and overall results, too. I am of the opinion that a top-quality and ample performance detector for Coin Hunting ought to be priced somewhere in the $599 to $899 price range, MSRP. That range would include the Omega at $599, the MX5 at $599.95, the Racer at $649, the FORS CoRe at $699, the MXT All-Pro at $849.95 or $899.95, depending on which coil you selected.

When you figure a Racer w/Pro Pack @ $849 w/2 search coils, weather covers and accessories, or a FORS CoRe w/Pro Pack @ $999 w/3 search coils, weather covers and accessories, and then put them to the test at a number of different sites and search condition challenges, I think you'd be hard pressed to justify spending a lot more and still expect a reasonable amount of performance improvement in overall hunting challenges.

Just my biased opinions.

Monte

One thing I'm seeing with the Fors Core that is amazing is just how much metal it sees in the ground. I would swear someone was messing with me and dumped buckets of stuff in my yard. The small coil is not coming off this machine. It'll keep up with recovery on a dime nickel and penny with separate tones at 2" deep and 2" apart darn near as fast as I can swing it. Picks up 1 grain of gold in the 70's at a couple inches.

AMM in the core is freaking amazing deep. I'll have to post my finds later. But I will say that deep pistol balls may show up as iron.....