Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fors Core pinpoint depth way off

porsche11

Hello,
The pinpoint depth seems to be off by a lot on my new Fors Core with 11" coil. Coins that I dig up in the field in the 4-6" range ALWAYS pinpoint somewhere in the 30 something centimeter range. 36 is a depth I see a lot and 36cm is about 14 inches! I just did a test holding a dime exactly and inch away while pinpointing, and at the loudest tone I got indicated 15 on the depth reading which is about 5.9 inches. Anyone else notice this? Thanks a lot.
-Brad

Don't worry at all about the depth reading. I use pinpoint just for sizing a target and that's all on the CoRe. BTW the machine was calibrated with a much larger coin is why it reads that way. It thinks the small coin you held in front of it is a larger coin a lot further away. The backup or move forward coil wiggle over the target is dead nuts on.

The manual says it will give an approximate depth based on a modern coin, I just think it seems to be vastly off. As far as sizing and target location it is dead on. Thanks for your help JFlynn

porsche11 said:
Hello,
The pinpoint depth seems to be off by a lot on my new Fors Core with 11" coil. Coins that I dig up in the field in the 4-6" range ALWAYS pinpoint somewhere in the 30 something centimeter range. 36 is a depth I see a lot and 36cm is about 14 inches! I just did a test holding a dime exactly and inch away while pinpointing, and at the loudest tone I got indicated 15 on the depth reading which is about 5.9 inches. Anyone else notice this? Thanks a lot.
-Brad

Hello... Approximate depth is provided based on the assumption that the target is a 1'' coin. The real depth will vary based on target size. The device will give a greater depth reading for smaller targets and for larger targets, the depth reading will be smaller than they really are. In fact, pinpointing is used for target location and not depth indication. Therefore, we suggest that you use the depth reading for judging the proximity of the target.

your depth is in centimeters not inches

I was wondering about this as well. My pinpoint is consistently reading in the mid 20's to low 30's......which should convert around 8" give or take.....found three quarters and a dime....all were about 2" deep......what gives? A quarter is about an inch isn't it?