Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a 2 ounce slug with my Minelab

Jonathan Porter

Thought I'd share a picture of a 2 ounce slug I found recently, it was at the base of a tree, because I could only get the coil over the edge of the target zone was extremely difficult find to make.

JP

Those are some really nice gold nuggets,this may seem like a few stupid question,but as i live in the UK we dont nugget hunt,but when you find a nugget that is say contaminated with other rocks that is not 100% gold how do you sell it as the value of the gold is done by weight,hope that makes sense.So for example say you have just found a 1oz gold nugget that has some rock in it as well so the true weight of the gold could be just 3/4oz how do you get a valuation of it.

And also once you have come too a valuation on this nugget gold weight how is the gold and rock seperated,is it crushed or thrown in a melting pot and the gold would seperate that way.

It may seem like a stupid question but i dont have a clue as we dont gold nugget hunt over here :thumbup: :ukflag:

Gold nuggets and specimens are gemstones and valued as such, based on appearance and rarity. Many examples command exceptional prices many, many times more than the value of the gold contained in them. Each one is unique. Gold coins are a dime a dozen by comparison. A one ounce nugget is much rarer than a one carat diamond.

Other nuggets and specimens are common and unattractive and as such crushed and melted for the contained gold values.

For examples of exceptionally valued gold specimens see http://www.themineralgallery.com/goldroom.htm

I sell nearly all my gold for more than what the gold in them is theoretically worth. To me that would be like selling diamonds based on the price of carbon.

Hey nice slug Jonathan :thumbup: I hear from a few blokes some good gold is coming out from up your neck of the woods! Saw a few pics of some not bad little patches found on the common areas. Seems its still alive up there, more so than down here in flogged Vic that is. Now go and have a 4X in that nice warm QLD sunshine, its currently just 12c down here.

Hi Smigo, been pushing 38 degrees C up here for weeks now, then to top things off have had a fair bit of rain this last week so now the humidity has set in, detecting now means going for a swim with your clothes on :-( I'm outside the loop on local gossip these days so it's nice to hear there's been some good gold coming out of the place this season.

JP

Yeah I don't have much to do with the local detecting fraternity down here myself. Too many sleazes, too many vultures and I got sick of being burnt. Its different these days, different from when I started detecting 20 yrs ago. In the old days a person would stop just to say g,day, these days they stop to pick your brains and tell them where the gold is.
It bugs me when im out for a detect now and you have driven through hundreds of acres of bush, pull up and have a detect, you passed absolutely no-one else getting there then a 4wd comes along and pulls up just 100 mtrs from you and starts detecting the area your in! It happens nearly every second or third time I go out. There's a lot of blokes who actually drive around just looking for some-one else detecting. Love detecting, hate the scene, if you know what I mean! Have a good one mate.

Looks awesome JP...

steve herschbach said:

In a Lifetime!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice work !!!!
I wish I could get there to try my luck nuggets like that just don't happen too often in the states.
Love seeing them.
Thanks for sharing and making me feel inadequate LOL...
HH