Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Found a new way to mount upper rod to control box explorer xs

diggervance

I found using a hose clamp to tighten upper rod to control box works like a million dollars. what I like about this over using the rubber balloon is when you need to take it apart much much easier. I done this midway through the hunting season and never had a problem with the rod slipping out.
Hope this helps

Yes great idea and sure solves one of my problems with my Explorer XS diggervance :thumbup:

Inspired by your idea, I tried this. No tools required but careful not to over tighten.

Butterfly/wing-nut (this is a 27mm version).

Works well.:thumbup:

Thanks

david di

n/t

Hey David just sent you a message
Rick

Yes, they can break. Being plastic, you don't want to over torsion them.They do clamp up strong enough and I have tightened it up pretty hard, by hand. It could just as easily break if one was to lay that wing on a rock or it somehow be subject to an undue lever pressure.
The standard nut clamp does have the advantage of being able to sustain more torsion with a screwdriver or socket.
I imagine that it's not that big a hassle carrying either of these tools around in case there is a need to remove the upper shaft for whatever reason in the field.

Repairing could be possible if you can use a mig welder or braze welding and replace the plastic wing with a metal one. Might as well convert a standard clamp if you can weld.

They're cheap enough to replace(over here about $2 each) and grabbing the broken stub with a pair of grips/pliers will work.

Maybe these are more suitable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hose-Clamps-With-Butter-Fly-Handles-20-32mm-100-Stainless-Steel-Pack-of-12-/221318506633?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33879c6889

david di

I just finished repairing my XS tonight after finding a couple of hairline cracks in the area of the upper cam lock. I got some J-B Weld PlasticWeld epoxy putty and after removing the cam lock then cleaning and roughing up the area with sand paper I reinforced both sides where the pin goes through. This putty can be molded to any shape that you want and it seems to be adhering very well. It sets up very hard and once it has set up it can be sanded and drilled, which you will have to do to put the cam lock back together. We'll see how well it holds up. At least I now know what to do if my repair doesn't last. Thanks diggervance!

Thought I would update this post as a friend of mine had to use this idea to fix his explorer

-- moved topic --