Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Frequency Adjust to help Ground Balance (seems to work)

wazza78

Hi All

I used the infinium in the WA goldfields over the last week. Have found many nuggets in my time, but managed to get a 0.26g nugget this trip.

Anyway what I found really useful was when I couldnt get a stable threshold on hot ground (even after ground balancing) - I undertook the frequence adjustment which gave a really clear threshold. This was the case for example really hot noisy laterite (ironstone) hills.

My question is what impact does this have on the performance of the infinium?

I also do find it difficult to hear the threshold when doing the frequency adjust. THis is my process:
1. Put in lock position
2. Turn threshold to right to Frequency Adjust
3. Turn discrimination slowly to right until I hear a stable threshold (THRESHOLD IS VERY HARD TO HEAR DOING THIS THOUGH??)
4. Once smooth threshold I turn Threshold back to ZERO
5. Then I turn DISCRIMINATION back to zero.
6. Reset Threshold to about 4 and a bit.

Then my infinium seems super quiet.

So, my questions was what frequency should i try and select when I do this (ie dead quiet OR loud but smooth OR soft but smooth). And does this have any bearing on the performance of my detector?

Cheers
Waz

Hi Waz, some folks wont agree here about using Freq. adjust for Threshold, but I for one - Believe that since we have the option on Finny (and being an Electrician by trade) that it is Relative & useful because Anytime there is Any kind of Coil on an Electrical Circuit (or other Apparatus) there are Freq. and Impedences that would benefit from tuning in. I do it Afield as well and usually go to the Quitest possible setting for Frequency for the same reasons You describe. There are Many more advanced users here , than I though. I have been taught (from a couple ML guys ) that emphasize Ground Balancing as a Cardinal Rule for Nugget Hunting - I have come to agree. With In finium as well , I dont think enough people understand the Importance of It. I Always hunt in the Locked position and would Rather Re-GB frequently, if Neccessary. Ken

There are some ground in WA which is not Infinum LS friendly but not impossible to search,

Also there are two competing Garrett dealer networks operating here in OZ; any of the authorized dealers should know how to operate the product they sell.

A different (to the conventional described) way to ground balance an Infinium LS is possible; any of the dealers should be able to show you how to do it in less than two minutes............ it works equally well on wet salt water beaches and WA salt lakes.

ivanll

Ivanll,

Would you mind sharing the "different than conventional" way to ground balance the Infinium?

Thanks
Beav

beav said:
Ivanll,

Would you mind sharing the "different than conventional" way to ground balance the Infinium?

Thanks
Beav

Not at all .......bring your Infinium LS anytime and I shall show you, others have been invited and made use of the offer in the past.

Actually it's more like 20% see and 80% hear.......it's the hearing part that make you SMILE..........I do not have the writing skill nor patience to translate this experience into written text that can't be misread.

As said see an OZ Garrett dealer (there are 35 of them competing in two different camps) they should know...................When you purchase an Infinium LS you also pay for a basic first hand "how to use" tutorial.

First hand experience is tops and preferred ; second is a short video show with sight and sound!............. This forum have rules restricting links to useful info on video...........so no link.

ivanll

So in other words, get on a plane to OZ and you will show the trick, I would like to know this other method as well but cant see flying anywhere to get it.

Waz,

Good to hear the frequency balance works, I posted this process on the P2P forum a while back and that is long gone, quit a few used it all with good results, the Infinium went quite. The one thing that I do is on step 3 turn the disc all the way out and then back, speed did not make a diference. step 4 is turn threshold all the way back on the way it makes noise and when you hit around 4 on the way back the noise level pick up then at 3 -2 on the way back it goes quiet, dead quiet. steps 1 and 2 are the same.

This will get you the same results you just dont need to listen, after that pick a threshold or discrimination level you want. I only use this when and where needed, as I sometimes wonder if I am missing something or my unit is working.

The Aussie Infinium Forum is gone, The site was slamed by an Black Hole Exploit Kit ...... and the forum will not be resurected. The GMC web sit is being rebuilt.

Fishers Ghost said:
The Aussie Infinium Forum is gone, The site was slamed by an Black Hole Exploit Kit ...... and the forum will not be resurected. The GMC web sit is being rebuilt.

A forum is only as good as its contributing posters.

Thanks for your contributions to all.

Yes Black Davy I did try your suggestions there about turning the discrimination all the way to the end. In general that technique quitened the infinium, but I found that is super noisy ground the best way was to pick a frequency (YES HARD TO HEAR) that was smooth. From there it seemed to be quiet.

To be honest though there might not be too much difference between your suggestion of turning the discrim all the way around and then back, AND my technique of choosing a frequency.

One questions, one you do this eg the frequency balance, do you then go and do the ground balance process after (ie fast track, slow track and then fix it)??

Some really productive discussions here!

Cheers Waz

Well I can understand your point in listening for better tuning. My ground here really does not require this unless I go to the beaches in Maine. When I was there I was still constantly ground balancing, I cant remember if I used slow or fast track but lock mode was not cutting it. My finny really did operate much better after Garrett replaced my coils and fixed a loose connection on my housing.

Wow; the forum is gone...too bad, just like the Infinium...improvements could have been made, but too much apathy present for improvements.

Looks like a Big Black shadow have come to darken :garrett: distribution in :ausflag:........two :starwars: camps was unlikely to coexist for long!

It's seem to be going the same way as other imported brands........No Service/Repair facility in Au.........No back-up..........No wonder new users ask questions on forums.

:cheers:
ivanll
:ausflag:

Dont know if thats entirely true Ivanll.

I believe the Gold mining centre website was taken over by a computer virus.

Its my understanding its being rebuilt, hopefully the forum too.

Hadnt heard anything about no service/repair facility there for garrett.

Cheers

Waz

pps frequency adjust is very use-full for smoothing the threshold in WA where the settings can be different from cool morning ground to that of hot midday ground even in areas where there is no other external interferences..................I've been there.

However one must be able to hear the audio threshold in order to optimise the enhancement.............20% seeing.....80% hearing.

P4236843_800.jpg

ivanll

Some excellent observations there ivan. I totally agree with the changing ground noise from cool morning to hot afternoon. This is where the frequency adjust becomes valuable.

I would imagine selecting a smooth but relatively quiet frequency adjust setting - then combined with a suitable threshold level (4-4.5) would optimise this deceptively versatile machine

WAZ