Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

G/B and all metal...

JimGilmore

Ok, I have a question here...When I was in the park I find it real hard to try and hunt in all metal. It is almsot impssible to swing the coil with out constant beepps and boings though maybe I am trying to do it wrong...
I can go to disc and It is relativlt lots of low noise targets and aI am guessing it is a lot of foil trash...
What do you think and am I doing something wrong ??

Jim --

In my opinion, if you want to hunt a trashy park in all-metals mode, you are asking for a headache! This machine is so sensitive, I figure it will pick up a rust flake at 4"! Seriously, though, in all-metals, this thing will see every little scrap of metal there is -- and will barrage your head with noise in a trashy site. To me, all-metals mode is for much cleaner sites; if you are hunting a trashy park, my thoughts are that you almost HAVE to use disc mode. I doubt you are doing anything "wrong" with respect to ground balance; the "noise" is almost certainly all the metal in the ground. Once you have ground balanced, unless the soil conditions change signficantly over short distances, thus requiring very frequent balancing, the "noise" is likely coming from your super-sensitive machine seeing tiny bits of junk metal in the ground!

Just my thoughts,

Steve

JimGilmore said:
Ok, I have a question here...When I was in the park I find it real hard to try and hunt in all metal. It is almsot impssible to swing the coil with out constant beepps and boings though maybe I am trying to do it wrong.
I hunt in an All Metal mode with many detectors through the years. However, I ONLY hunt in the All Metal mode if:

1.. I have a proper Threshold setting.
2.. I have a proper Ground Balance.
3.. There is not an abundance of targets, especially trash.

If you have adjusted for a slight audio Threshold hum, and have also adjusted for a good Ground balance setting, then you should be able to hunt in the All Metal mode. However, if you are getting "constant beeps and boings' as you stated, then the GB could be off, the site has a lot of coal clinkers and/or hot and cold rocks, or you are most likely in a trashy site. If it is too much trash, use the Discriminate mode.

JimGilmore said:
I can go to disc and It is relativlt lots of low noise targets and aI am guessing it is a lot of foil trash...
There you go! If there are a lot of targets, then All Metal is not the mode to use.

If you are getting a lot of "low noise" audio responses, then they are targets below your Discriminate break-point, but above the blank 'rejection' range.

JimGilmore said:
What do you think and am I doing something wrong ??
If the site is very trashy, especially with lower-conductive targets, you might want to eliminate hearing the trash. Look at the VDI numbers that most of the junk is producing. Let's just guess that it is a lot of nails and smaller iron bits that fall in the 21 to 40 range. As you learn your detector there are two choices you have:

1.. Increase the Disc. level to '40' and search an area. All low-tone responses will be at '40' or less and those are most likely all iron junk. You will hear them, but can ignore recovering the iron sounds.

2.. Increase the Discrimination so that the blank area includes all of the VDi's you are getting. In this case, considering it is all iron junk, you can have the lower (left) end of the shaded area be at or one segment above the '40' VDI number. Then, everything to the left is rejected and you won't hear it. That will make foil and some lower-conductive non-ferrous targets respond with a low-tone, and higher-conductive targets will report with a high VCO audio.

You might have to do this for a while until you get a better handle on using the GB Pro and G2 models. Also, if it is very trashy, use the 5" DD coil.

Monte

Ok, Monte and thanks.. That's why I went to the 5" coil for better separation. The large coil pinpoints fine but with so many targets I find it hard to relax. And enjoying the hunt is a plus. I was able to recover a lot more coins and targets this trip.

Yes they did Bart!