Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Garrett A2B 'Closet Queen' back to work..

karelian

The owner of this machine lost the battery tray only a few months after purchasing the machine, he lost interest and packed it away in the closet where it remained for decades. When he was moving house it ended up on the front lawn for his Sunday morning garage sale. I saw it and pounced. I've done nothing but assemble the machine and find a replacement battery holder. The machine is now good to go.
The Garrett Groundhog A2B has iconic status in Australia, it's a legend that has found a lot of gold including the 'Hand of Faith' nugget.
Very rare to stumble upon such a 'clean' machine and I'll treasure it. My father used a Groundhog in the early 80's and later traded it for the Scorpion. Lots of happy memories and this machines brings them all back.

All the best,
Karelian

Looks nice. You were in the right place at the right time to get this one.
Best of luck in all your searches !

That is a clean unit for the age for sure!!. i am partial for old units too, especially the ones that bring back memories. It looks like this forum is in the dust. I was wanting to see what the latest fuss on the scorpions were all about. I am shocked at hardly any activity in the forum!!

Yeah- That is a great find, just now saw the post and pic.
I haven't been doing much for the past few months,.

Perhaps off topic but I should mention the 'Hand of Faith' nugget was NOT found with an A2B or Groundhog as I stated earlier in my post, it was a Garrett Deepseeker ADS according to local sources. Must give credit where it is due. Nugget was 27.27 kilograms or 875 Troy Oz. Found September 16, 1980. Largest gold nugget ever found with a metal detector to date.. found with a second hand Garrett Deepseeker at 12 inches depth.

The nugget is in the bottom left corner of the Garrett ad..

Again my mistake and one shared by many others... Garrett used images of the nugget to sell the A2B and other machines in Australia without actually saying it was a Groundhog that found the nugget. Newspaper articles failed to mention the machine used. Too late to edit my earlier post so I've included this correction. Don't want to be accused of spreading 'fake news'.

So it didn't find the 'Hand of Faith' but the A2B still holds it iconic status along with the old 303 rifle, FJ40 series Landcruisers and
Elle Macpherson..

Humbly yours,
Karelian

I have the Garrett Gold Hunter and I know that it is similar to the A2B. both are very good machines. I like mine.