Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GB PRO/G-2 IN THE DESERT ??

JimGilmore

Just wondering if anybody has gotten to use these machines in the desert to do some real nugget hunting, or to look for spots to use your drywasher ?
Wondering how would be the best way to look for good spots to dry wash with the GB pro ???

should by the end of May. I mainly hunt old railroad ghost towns in the desert areas of Utah, Nevada and Wyoming, but I'll also be hitting some gold nugget producing areas in eastern Oregon and Nevada. With my bad back I can endure metal detecting and I enjoy finding gold nuggets. Anything big enough to disrupt the EMF and that I am able to pinch and pick up. Dry washing and other types of nugget hunting I have had to set aside because they are just too much work for what I can handle these days.

However, if you are using as G2, like me, or a Gold Bug Pro or Gold Bug DP (same critter), then you would most likely adjust the GB for the general area and search for more mineralized pockets of dense, more mineralized black sand and the like. Hunting with an audible threshold hum you can listen for the audio to briefly drop-off when you encounter higher mineralization. It won't last long due to the very speedy auto-tune of these models, but a sharp ear can hear it.

Once you adjust the GB for a couple of general ground condition spots, not the GB reading in the lower right. let's say you're in ground that has a GB setting of 82.6 to 83.3. So, the larger center Ground Phase reading when sweeping the coil (actually bobbing it for a more accurate reading) would be '82' or '83'. Just search an area and hope to hear a good 'beep' from a nugget. But if you don't, be alert for any slight audio changes, such as a brief decrease in threshold hum, that would indicate you've swept over a more mineralized object (rock) or sites (maybe a black sand pocket) compared to the starting GB setting.

A glance at the center display might indicate that the GB setting should be '84' or maybe '85, which is a higher iron mineralization reading that when you first set the GB. You can also note the Fe3O4 read-out. If it is only 1, 2 or maybe 3 bars in the general ground matrix. but elevated to a higher or full-scale reading over an area, then you might be over a good 'pocket' top check out. With a little skill you can sometimes 'trace' the outline of the pocket and get an idea of the size.

This is just one method to use a simple and efficient metal detector to help you find a location to change your search method into a work-mode. :rofl:

Dave Johnson's booklet on Gold/Gold Prospecting is a very interesting reading that might also be of help.

Monte

D J's essay on gold prospecting on the fisher site ? is that what your referring to?

Dave Johnson's material is available for free download at http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/dave-johnson-essays.htm