Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Georgia Ghost Towns

Hello Fongu,

I'm not sure what the laws are on the Island. I'd certainly check before I'd detect. I don't know that the gov't or homeowners groups could regulate what you can do on private property if you had a friend that lived there or detecting below the high water mark. I know in New England you can stay below the high water mark and land owners cannot tell you to leave on the waterfront property. Although out of courtesy, I'd still ask because I'd feel uncomfortable being in someone's "backyard" detecting if I didn't know them and I'm sure they'd feel uncomfortable as well.

Understanding Jekyll Island however, you're most likely entirely right.

:beers:
Cheers

Hello Fongu,

You're correct, the areas around Andersonville Prison and park are restricted. I like to include these places however so that THers know the history of the area and the age of items that they may find in the area if they can get onto private property nearby.

Just like the national parks that encompass civil war battlefields; you cannot hunt them but we look for the retreat trails outside of the parks on private property and try to get permission to hunt these areas. Also many times the military encampments were further away from where the battles actually took place. I've had pretty good luck following this strategy without stepping on anybody's toes.

Thanks again for your insight; much appreciated.

Cheers

H.Charles Beil said:
Hello Fongu,

You're correct, the areas around Andersonville Prison and park are restricted. I like to include these places however so that THers know the history of the area and the age of items that they may find in the area if they can get onto private property nearby.

Just like the national parks that encompass civil war battlefields; you cannot hunt them but we look for the retreat trails outside of the parks on private property and try to get permission to hunt these areas. Also many times the military encampments were further away from where the battles actually took place. I've had pretty good luck following this strategy without stepping on anybody's toes.

Thanks again for your insight; much appreciated.

Cheers

That's a good idea, Charles. Thanks.