Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Bug SE with 11" biaxial coil

Took the Gold Bug 29er to my farm with pretty hot ground. Read 4-5 Fe bars. Machine wouldn't detect a penny at 4 inches in disc mode, no matter how you set it. In all metal had to lower the threshold into the negative range to get it to run smooth with a sensitivity of 60. Would see the penny very well like this, even with coil 4 inches above the ground. ID was not on, as it read below 50 with every pass. Machine does better than most though/

Interesting; I've not run my Gold Bug Pro at sens. that low -- haven't had to. I can always max mine out at 100 with no problem. I'm sure the lower sens. you were running, and the soil, were hurting depth. How does your machine, away from EMI and with sens. set near max, do with an penny in an air test?

Steve

In disc mode I ran sensitivity to max and the detector would not see the penny at 4 inches. Really hot ground. The machine air tests great. Had to keep the sensitivity down in all metal or it would sound off any time it got near the ground. That's one of the reasons I ran the threshold in the negative range. If I had run the threshold where you could hear it, you wouldn't have been able to tell a target from the ground noise.

Unfortunately it's not the worst soil in Virginia; far from it. I had planned on taking it to Orange, Va. this weekend, but I'm afraid I'll have to go with something else. That soil makes mine look like an air test. Hard to find a machine that's not a PI that will hunt that soil. Gold country must be mild by comparison.

Try a Manual Ground Balance and let us know.

Most place I hunt when In Nevada run 4 to 5 bars Iron and Cranking down your sens is one of the best ways for me to deal with it. If sens is cranked too high in high mineral ground the ground itself becomes a mask and will cause the machine to be less responsive. Think of it as a small dull light behind a bright light it becomes lost in the brightness but when the brighter light is dimmed the duller light becomes more visible. I know not a great comparison but Im no Dave J or Nasa Tom. It took me years to figure this out while prospecting. Turn my machine down and wow all the sudden Im finding nuggets. :beers:

Thanks for the tips Godigit and Ken. I'll try that with the sensitivity and manual ground balance. I like everything about the machine, but if that doesn't cut it I'm afraid I'll have to go with an Australian detector.

Sounds very similar to the F75 there; same kind of dirt you're talking about. I've hunted in similar dirt from North Ga to Culpeper, VA. People that's never hunted in it will call you crazy for saying the detectors wont do well in discriminate mode no matter how low of discrimination.

I had so many on the forums telling me I was nuts that I took a camera to the field to show it on a Civil War bullet before I dug it. And then done it again and again....bullets from 6-8 inches reading totally as iron and discriminate mode knocking them out at just enough to normally knock out a small nail.

The VA dirt is a bit worse because in it, you have to GB every few feet or so. I've actually dug bullets that still read as iron sitting in your dirt pile.

Motion all metal is the way to go for these machines; sounds like the Gold Bug is no exception.

Where you in All Metal? Where you ground balance too? Wow!

Well I'm surprised to let everyone know that the Gold Bug performed like a million bucks in my Orange county relic hunt. I made some really good finds and detected a button at 7 inches in disc mode. The FE reading was about 5 bars. My buddy dug a frame buckle that turned out to be 8 inches deep that I could detect with the coil a good foot off the ground. Perfect ID at 85. Some areas I ran it in straight all metal with a sensitivity of 70-75 and it picked up about everything in the ground. ID in all metal wasn't always perfect, but if you came at the target at different angles it would give you a high number on the speedo. Pretty darn good machine.

Wow !! nice:thumbup: