Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold n Silver at iron beach

therover

My friend Matt and I hit a beach in NJ that is known as 'Iron beach'. This place literally has huge iron, medium iron, small iron and anything in between. I used my Gold Bug SE and he used his AT Pro for the first time. I think we picked the right units, since I believe our Minelabs may have been nulling every sweep, and my CZ may have falsed repeatedly with all the iron around.

I bagged 2 silver quarters, 6 dimes, a Buffalo and what looks like a really old gold cross. The cross is totally covered in iron residue, and I don't have a clue what the best way to get rid of that garbage. I got a little off to see if it was gold with a wire brush, but I think I may go the jewelry ultrasonic route first.

Matt got 3 silver quarters ( a Barber, Standing Liberty and Washington) 4 silver dimes and a 10K school ring from 1926. The only sad part was part of the bottom of the ring is broken off.

We also got about 12-15 beat up wheaties. Funny thing is, we only hit 2-3 clad coins between us. It was an old coin day for sure.

The Gold Bug and AT Pro ran super and with the super fast recovery speeds of those units, we got all these coins among loads of iron junk.

Steve,

The cross hit hard with a solid 54-55 reading. The coins weren't that deep, probably averaging 7-8 inches down, although the standing liberty I hit was about 12 inches. That one was one of the deep signal 'ticks' on the Gold Bug, but the VDI was still high 80's which is good about that unit. Same with the dimes...some were deep and did not bang hard, but the VDI was 82-83 most all the time.

I hope someday soon, FT makes a water proof version of this unit !! It hunts the salt water very well and we all know about it's ability to find stuff in iron.

There was tons of HUGE iron ( pipes, machine parts, etc.) buried anywhere from 5 inches down to 2 feet. One cool thing was, the big shallow iron would hit hard and high VDI, but when I put the coil into the sand a bit, the unit would overload. On the big, deeper iron, I would raise the coil and if the tone was still strong and high and the numbers jumping around anywhere from 24-85 ( I had the unit at discrimination level 21), I would move on. Using this same method, the coins would become fainter sounding and not as high a tone ( I like the VCO on this unit). The target footprint would also be very small. But the numbers would still be in the 73-83 range.

My only problem was, I could not wade in !!

I NEED A WATER PROOF GOLD BUG SE/DP NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great beach finds. The beaches I hunt in SC are replenished every winter and finds are hard to come by till spring.

Great day at the beach, It makes me really want to do more beach hunting but the good ones are a few hours away.
Way to go!

Wow nice finds !!!