Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GOLD on dry land !

So I was able to talk my 12 yr old Son into going hunting with me the other day. On the way to water hunt a local swimming hole , I noticed an empty lot next to an old church that had a few big , old oak trees growing in it. I told my Son that I was sure we'd find some coins around those trees , because at some point , people probably used to have church picnics in that lot . And where would they sit ? Under the shade trees of coarse. He was skeptical ,but agreed we should hit it. Leaving my Excalibur II in the car , we set out with his Tesoro Campadre , and the pro pointer. My Son decides to detect , and I'm elected the pin pointer/ digger. He sets his disc on " foil " , and we're off. We started around the first tree ...... Two rusty nails. We move to the second old oak and get a loud target. I cut a small plug ( about 4" deep ) and flip it over , and there in the bottom of the plug , is GOLD ! My Son's jaw dropped and he says " No way ! " . It was pretty awesome ! I've found gold before , but always in my water scoop. It's his first gold ever. He now has renewed faith in his little Tesoro ! It's stamped 14K with what looks like a star afterwards. And has a big fake , glass stone. At first I thought it was junk because of the glass. But now I think it's just old. Like before they had cz. I tried to research the star hallmark to no avail. I filed into the side of the band , to see if it's plated. But it appears to be solid 14K. I've got a acid test kit coming in the mail in a few days. I should have bought one LONG ago ! Here's hoping it passes the tests ! Either way it made our day , and I won't soon forget the look on his face when he saw the ring. Good times ! We continued on to find a 1919 wheat penny ( our oldest yet ! ) , and our first WAR nickel ! It's a 1943 P. No double eye or re stamping though. We moved to the swim hole and I found a few clad nickels and a copper toe ring also. All in all , it was a great day spent treasure hunting with my Son ! No pics of the coins. But , here's one of the ring. I'll let you know what the acid test concludes.

HH !

Looks good from here Man! And old too...what a great find on your outing with your Son!:clapping:
Mud

Thanks guys. Yeah , I'm guessing it's pretty old too. I've never found a solid gold ring that had a piece of glass ( which is chipped and really worn down on the top ) for the rock. Weird. And the " stone " retainers are basically just thick gold wires. Definitely a strange one. Wish I could find out more about the hallmark. It looks like a star. But, could be two triangles or a V and a triangle. ? Can't really tell. Even with a loop. I'd love to know how old it is. But I'll settle for finding out that it's real gold. Acid test will settle that in a few days.

Now thats getting Good

Nah , Wifey hasn't claimed any of my treasure ..... Yet. Yeah , might get the " stone " looked at , just to see what they say. I've got a cheapy diamond tester coming in the mail also.

With the small table on the stone, it does look like and old cut. You can confirm the stone by placing it , table down on a pen dot. If you can see the dot thru the stone, it is not a diamond. Hope it is though. Will be scratched if glass also.