Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold Rings -- TID numbers

BH_Landstar_

I did a small test tonight on a few gold rings that I have here to find out the TID range that could indicate that the target is a gold ring in the ground. Test was done in DISC mode, gain at 80, default ground balance (in-house test) with the F5 10" coil connected.

The rings that have stones in them are thin bands (14K) and read anywhere from 48 - 52

Plain bands depending on size and thickness show TDI's that range as follows.

Small childs ring (10K) 38 - 41

Small thin ring (14K) 50 - 52

Medium thin ring (14K) 60 - 62

Medium wide band (14K) 70 - 72

Large thin band [mans ring, the one I wear] (14K) 60 - 62

Notice there is a 10 digit jump from 50 to 60 and so on up to 70.

Would be great to get some sort of TDI data going here on gold rings, maybe we can all share details of the TDI's for gold rings that we have or have found with our Gold Bug SE / Pro / G2 detectors.

I don't have any large wide band gold rings to test, ie class rings etc, so I can not report the TDI on these (can someone help out here ?)

I did notice that these rings did not hit the TDI number 58 for nickels.

Thanks.

BH_Landstar_ said:
The rings that have stones in them are thin bands (14K) and read anywhere from 48 - 52

Small child's ring (10K) 38 - 41

I did notice that these rings did not hit the TDI number 58 for nickels.

Thanks.

I notice the same thing as I pulled up the last of the Jewelry on Sunday I will post pictures soon. But as I improve my hunting skills with my new Buddy (G2), I am beginning to agree on the this and solid numbers make me dig! :thumbup::cheers:

Damn, it looks like I'm going to be digging even more pull tabs.:pulltab:

Great chart!::thumbup:

I try to compare a number of detectors as well as specific models, such as the G2 and Gold Bug Pro. I do note that you're using a 10" elliptical concentric on the G2/Gold Bug Pro. Even though I have had good success with that coil on my G2, I will qualify here that the factory claims only the Double D coils, 5" and 11", are designed to be used with these detectors. I'll also add that you can get different Ground Balance setting read-outs, as well as some shift in the target ID (actually numeric VDI read-outs) on the G2 and Gold Bug Pro. They don't have the typical Target ID (Iron, Foil, Nickel, Tab, Penny, Dime, Quarter, etc) response with different search coils. The VDI reading might be off by 1 or 2 numbers or slightly more.

BH_Landstar_ said:
I did a small test tonight on a few gold rings that I have here to find out the TID range that could indicate that the target is a gold ring in the ground. Test was done in DISC mode, gain at 80, default ground balance (in-house test) with the F5 10" coil connected.

Small childs ring (10K) 38 - 41

So, from the testing you did, the gold rings displayed reading from as low as '38' on up to '72'. I have tested sample gold rings I have found or borrowed and they ranged from '36' (just into the 0-40 iron range) on up to about '76' for some of the the larger-size rings. Most of those larger rings that I tested were 10K to 14K. My round men's wedding band is 14K and reads just above the common US nickel, almost identical to the response from a 'Silver War Nickel'.

The last 3 gold rings I've found read '55', '57' and '58' on the G2 w/5" DD coil when swept as if flat on the ground and centered about 2

Monte said:
I'll also add that you can get different Ground Balance setting read-outs, as well as some shift in the target ID (actually numeric VDI read-outs) on the G2 and Gold Bug Pro. They don't have the typical Target ID (Iron, Foil, Nickel, Tab, Penny, Dime, Quarter, etc) response with different search coils. The VDI reading might be off by 1 or 2 numbers or slightly more

With this statement please go in to better detail, I do not follow this, as I switch coils while at a site. And I re-balance to the ground and its seems to be the same I was working with before?

Also, are the numbers off by a little with a smaller coil I do know that the depth on a smaller coil can be , but the numbers should be averaged the same way by the computer. Thanks for all that you do.

Once again Monte, excellent post !

I've tested the 5" DD with these rings and the numbers are the same as that for the F5 10" coil, so there is not much of a difference if any !

The test will be in the ground, so with that said, I'll be putting some gold rings in the ground at around 3" - 6" and doing a ground test using both coils to see if the numbers hold true.