Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gold testing kit !!

mrcolin2u

Anyone got a recommendation where to get a gold test kit ?
I've seen some acid test kits on Amazon but the reviews were iffy !!

Thanks
Colin

Hard to say, as acid gets older it loses its punch and can give skewed results but it takes a long time to get to that point.
I bought a kit years ago off of Amazon, came with 10k to 22k acid, several scratch plates and a tiny file which is used to gouge little divits on problem pieces to get past any plating.
My acid still works despite the age, I would say if you order from a decently large company that seems popular and has a good turnover you should be ok.
Small companies might have had their kits on their shelves for a much longer time, avoid China kits if you can.
One other piece of advice, avoid kits that have silver testing acid as that stuff is known to be unreliable.
The pros at jewelry stores and pawn shops never use it, instead they use the 18k acid to test instead.
On silver 18k acid turns blue...much more accurate results.

Hard to say, as acid gets older it loses its punch and can give skewed results but it takes a long time to get to that point.
I bought a kit years ago off of Amazon, came with 10k to 22k acid, several scratch plates and a tiny file which is used to gouge little divits on problem pieces to get past any plating.
My acid still works despite the age, I would say if you order from a decently large company that seems popular and has a good turnover you should be ok.
Small companies might have had their kits on their shelves for a much longer time, avoid China kits if you can.
One other piece of advice, avoid kits that have silver testing acid as that stuff is known to be unreliable.
The pros at jewelry stores and pawn shops never use it, instead they use the 18k acid to test instead.
On silver 18k acid turns blue...much more accurate results.
I never knew that silver tip..very cool...

Whoa hold the horses! I found a small ring with no markings but silver looking. Inspected with loupe and noted on the inside a sky blue like color on a couple spots so figured it was costume where silver colored metal applied over a blue base. Does this match to what you are describing????

Not really, copper can look green or blue under the right conditions, could be some other base metal, too.
Test it with 18k acid and you will know.
On a scratch plate silver will definitely turn blue, you will notice it.
Also silver scratches will look well, silver before applying acid, other metals will have a different color.
If you have a clear path to the base metal one drop of acid will also turn blue immediately.

Good luck!