Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Goldbug pro settings?

rockpup1

Im getting a goldbugpro in 7 days.Can anyone recomend some settings or hints on operation.I was wondering if the goldbugpro (not DP) has the manaul graound balance also?
This unit is coming with the 5" coil.My main use will be nugget hunting and I like to turn my machine a little offset in the ground balance-I sure hope I can do this.
I was not aware of it not having a manual ground balance,just that ground grab.Be dissapointed if this is the case.

Any tips and suggestions for nugget hunting with the goldbugpro be awesome-thanks alot.

rockpup1 --

Several things. First, the Gold Bug Pro and Gold Bug DP are exactly the same machine -- precisely the same, only difference is the Pro comes with the 5" DD coil as its "stock" coil, and the DP is a "Pro" but comes stock with an 11" DD coil. That's it. Buy a DP, and put the 5" coil on it, and you have a "Pro," and vice-versa.

Settings? Very simple on this machine. One knob -- your threshold knob, determines if you are hunting in discrimination mode, or all-metals mode. If you "click" the button by turning it all the way counterclockwise, you will "click" into disc. mode. If you turn it clockwise, and "unclick" it from disc. mode, you enter all-metals mode, and turning the knob farther in the clockwise direction turns up your threshold (which you will see on the digital display -- threshold numbers going up). The other knob is your sensitivity -- which also shows up as a digital number on the screen as you adjust it. I am most often, in my experience, able to run it near or at maximum sensitivity (100).

You can do an automatic "ground balance," and while in all-metals mode, you will get a continuous digital readout of the ground phase. If you want, you CAN adjust the ground balance manually, setting it whereever you want above, or below, the ground phase reading. So, in summary, you CAN INDEED do both types of ground balancing -- manual OR automatic.

You will probably nugget hunt in all-metals mode (unless in a highly nail-infested site where you may want to use a little discrimation). The machine is a deeper, more sensitive unit in all-metals mode versus in disc. mode.

Hints on operation? It's a very, very stable unit. It likes a faster sweep speed. A good way to coin hunt is to set the "tone break" at 40, which is at the top of the iron range on this unit. Setting the tone break here will allow all below 40 VDI (iron) to give a low tone, while above 40, all targets will give a modulated, VCO audio tone. However, like I say, if you are not coin hunting, you will probably be in all-metal mode anyway, where all targets will give modulated VCO audio reports. It's about as simple of a machine as I can imagine, in terms of user-friendliness, but is VERY sensitive, VERY powerful, VERY light, and fun to use. It is designed primarily as a gold machine, and so you will be using it for its most natural purpose -- prospecting. It is sensitive on gold (19 kHz frequency), and I can even hit a 1/10 oz. nugget (though not very deep). Larger nuggets, obviously, will hit progressively deeper.

You will, I think, really enjoy this machine. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Steve

Thanks alot steve.This machine is all I thought it was and more.I wanted a good back Vlf for gold prospecting- also a detector for coins ect.I mainly use my Infinium for prospecting but the goldbugpro will help in area's of smaller gold.Plus it sounds deep on coins,relics ect.

I had a mxt and did not like the unstable operation at high gain settings.From what I hear the goldbugpro is very stable at high gain.I just did not like the mxt (I like the spectrum line) and for the price I could not turn down the goldbugpro.Can't beat the 5 year warrenty and for me I could not find a used mxt for the price of a new goldbugpro.

I will post some results.Prospecting and general hunting up here in canada.I prospect in British Columbia and the area is much differant than the desert area's of the westren United States.

I will also post results hunting for new and old canadian coins.I think it will do well on small silver 5 cent pieces and dimes.I have a great old school site I will test it at.Kinda has it all-electrical interference-old coal chunks.New clad-old clad-relics- it has it all.Did I mention alot of trash.

rockpup --

I look forward to your reports. I think this is an ideal machine for a gold prospector who also does some coin hunting. It really is an unbeatable overall package; and yes, it is VERY stable at high gain, at least for me in my area, compared to other machines I've used.

Steve

It is a very good machanine. My 3 time out i found a .7 gram gold nugget with quartzs on it.. I was just playing with it, and was getting some very good depth readings with it. I was sceptical at first because its my first detector, but after some use with it it is a way awsome machaine. :thumbup: I think it will get a good reading on anything over .2 grams. Maybe smaller. Yea i want to see some nuggets found with it on the form...

Steve great post, Nice and your learning your new detector as am I. :teknetics:/:fisher: #1

Ok thought I report back on the gold bug pro. Had it for a few years now and nothing but good to say. Still works great and im a little rougher on things than normal humans.
I have founds tons of coins- its a clad magnet for some reason. I have to say after owning all most all other brands of machine this ones has to be one of the best I have used for Canadian clad.
It will ID some newer coins and does well on most,Im not concerned about clad but with training one could use this machine very well with modern clad.

It is very sensitive almost too much at trashy parks but so super fast in recover most the time if you hear a good beep theres something good under all the trash.I have found a few silver coins even.
What it does like is the small metal skirts from the old glass pop bottles and old aluminum pop lids,found these good depths. Found lots more nickles than normal.

2 summers ago I did a good week of nugget hunting in a well hunted area. I did very well over 1/2oz nuggets a few grammers and a nice 8.6 gram nugget. It will hit small gold,very small. I have fairly constant ground but with a lot of hot pyrite rocks. I ground balance very hot and run machine full sensitivity. I try different adjustments depending on amount of hot rocks present- even at 70 sensitivity it will hit small gold. But for the most part I run as hot as I can.

I want to try a dtech or nel small coil with a better foot print. The 5" round sucks in shape,its very sensitive and good with EMI but its 2 small and round. If they had true 6" elliptical say 6"x3" it would be much better,Also fisher should make a 15" dd coil I would prefer it over the 11" but like the 6x9 coil.
Its very light,no problems with swingy all day.Batteries not last long but only one 9v last me most of the week hunting.

Very good detector for someone that hunts nuggets and needs light weight.Im certain theres better for small gold at depth but for anything in the .3+range it hits hard and fairly deep.
Im certain if they make a 5" excelarator coil it will hit VERYsmal gold les than 1/10 a gram.
I think with gb onplus side and crank sensitivity it can hit 1/10 gram I havnt really tried how small but found some half rice grain size nuggets in the field.

Over all I recommend it any day for anyone hunting nuggets but cant afford a true gold machine or wants to do more than nugget hunt.I myselfam upgrading to a makro racer gold now that they hit the market.I don't think I could sell the gbpro but $$ might force me if I want the racer gold.