Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gone Cavin'

nowforever13

so i posted a picture of this thing that i think is a cave in anouther forum... the further down i dig the more rocks i find... is this a mine, cave, or just a pile of rock? please and thanks

The rocks appear to be limestone, and the trees are hardwoods (conifers prefer acid soils). Forested area means climate with enough precipitation to leach limestone.

Caves form in limestone under humid conditions. It's very uncommon for there to be anything worth artisanal hardrock mining in limestone. Where there is stuff worth mining in limestone, local folks will usually know that there's a history of mining and can tell you what was being extracted.

I believe that you have a hole in the ground that was backfilled with rocks either for safety reasons or for concealment. And that it wasn't a mine shaft. It could be a cave entrance, or could be a pit dug for some reason (root cellar?) that was abandoned.

if it helps you help me any. i live in east tennessee. in a rare hidden area that mimicks the conditions that made the great smokey mountians ( or so ive been told). the area is 20 ft from a bottle dump..... i have found a broken pot which is shown above.. and under it what appears to be a bone. could it also be an aboriginal burial CAVE? none of the native american maps of my area show my property on it.. although there are about 4 in my county