Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gorgeous 1865 2 center!

REVIER

My first, my oldest coin so far and a thrill to dig...especially for a mostly jewelry hunter like me.
Our club treasurer got us into an historical estate for a 2 hour hunt and I wanted to make it count.
Mission accomplished!

Holy smoke, way to go. Like no persons face, thats rare isnt it? Hope i can get one of those some day. Congratulations. CO

hatpin said:
Man that is a nice one. All the lines are sharp.

I don't use the word gorgeous, lightly. :)

Several members at this club meeting joked I probably brought this to the meeting and planted it.
For a coin that has been in the ground about 150 years or so, not bad looking at all.

You definately got a nice find there.. they are not easy to find and in that shape, very difficult.
I got one I found last year and it has no date and much of the detail is gone.. just enough to make out what it is/was.
Congradulations on a great find!!!!

Thanks all!

Yes, the soil around here is pretty good, our club meeting was held at this site and for all the 40 or so members that hunted for a short 2 hours only one other coin was found...a Large cent that was wrecked with no date visible.
Both were found at a depth of only 4-5".

Cool! I dont know how I missed this post, I try to keep an eye out for you! :clapping:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Cool! I dont know how I missed this post, I try to keep an eye out for you! :clapping:
Mud

Thanks Mud!
A rare older coin find for me.
I really did plan on aiming for older coin targets and finding different kinds of sites to hunt this year, kinda jealous reading all the posts from the guys that consistently find all those great old coins.
Even though there are many sites and even many public ones that would be great for doing this and much history around here with soil that is so good it permits us to find them, the jewelry hunting and finds have been so stellar for me since the start of the year that I still just concentrate on that for the most part.
Next year for sure...I promise!

What a great hobby.
So many different facets and types of targets to aim for that everyone can be happy hunting their favorites.

Awful nice being a little successful when stepping out of your comfort zone once in awhile, too.

A coin guy on our club's forum website just clued me in that this is the first coin where "In God We Trust" was used.
The "WE" is usually the first to fade out because it sits so high, but mine seems sharp as all the other details and lines seem to be.
There is a bit of dirt covering the E in We but it is there and sharp.

This is the fancy 5 variety with a little upturned tip on the top, no hint of this 5 over a 4 which I guess would be very rare.

The more I learn about this coin the more proud I feel having found it...and the more lucky I feel having found one in this condition.

Discounting the dug condition, from what I can see compared to other coins most of this thing could be considered in above very fine in grading.

:surprised:

:drool:

What a find .. I found one of them many years ago. The only one I ever found. I bet you all had a good time hunting that spot... KEN

Very nice, which detector did you find it with and about what depth?

That really is an amazing 2 cent piece. Considering the date and condition, it's remarkable that it didn't corrode more. That's a really nice find that anyone would be proud of. Way to go!

Thank you so much!
A surprise and a thrill and I am grateful it is in this condition.
Just one more great memory from this fantastic hobby, and something to hold in my hand and look at to remind me of this great day forever.

deliveryboy said:
Very nice, which detector did you find it with and about what depth?

I was using my Vaquero with a 5.75 concentric coil.
I was in disc with the knob set at just below the F in foil because there was much iron here in all sizes and some foil and can slaw too, modern and older.
I hunted with my thumb on the pinpoint button so I was in all metal to go the deepest and could hear the really big metal pieces and avoid them.
I listened for the zip-zip sound and when I got one I took my finger off the button and checked to see if the signal was still there in disc.
If it wasn't I continued on, if it was I thumbed that knob past the fade out point and listened to how the signal came in as I slowly thumbed the knob back down...a method I use when I hunt with both my Tesoros.
I dug a few pieces of trash doing this that stayed solid as it came in when I thumbed back down but avoided others that didn't and were noisy, and then I came across this signal that didn't disc out and stayed solid from 2 directions.
I was hoping to dig a silver coin but this dark thing came up instead.
It was round so I hoped it was something cool and not just a copper penny but I had no idea what it was as I pulled it out of the ground.
Bigger than a penny and I rubbed off a little dirt on one side and saw part of the shield, then flipped it over to rub some dirt off of that side and saw the 2 cents.
That is when the yelling began.
We had about 40 people from my club hunting all over this estate for 2 hours with all kinds of detectors and coils of all sizes and many with a great amount of experience finding old coins..
We suspect there might have been some dirt moved around here in the past because only one other person was lucky enough to find a coin of any kind, at wrecked Large cent with no date.
Both of our coins were found at the 4-5" depth mark.

Considering how many people were hunting here with all that equipment and experience and only 2 coins were found I consider myself very lucky especially rolling over this thing hunting such a large area with that small coil.

This was a one shot deal on a totally historical site that our treasurer sweet talked the historical society and parks department into letting us hunt for 2 hours only and probably will never let anyone hunt again.
The club president is going to make a nice display with some of the cooler bits of iron pieces and other odd and end stuff that might have some historical significance tying it to this site and present it to the historical society so maybe we might get a chance to do this again but we are not holding our breaths and all are grateful we had this one chance.

Me especially!