Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got a little more time on the Racer

Rick(ND)

The Racer like most other quality detectors is not a detector you take out of the box and set up and run the way you feel it should without getting to know it by taking the time to understand it and learning it as it is not a beep and dig detector. Was told by Monte to take some time and get to know it and you will really like it, well first time out I was not impressed as it was overloading and very noise and dug only larger trash items. Read more on the forum here and decided I shouldn't take it to one of the worst spots around, so went to a baseball field and park to try to get some easy pickings of new coins, but seen it too seems to like bigger items that were deeper and telling me they were only 2 inches deep with the depth meter. Then I got a real solid reading of 88 and it too showed 2 inches, but in pinpoint it sounded even louder that the bigger trash items(crushed pieces of pop cans) and notice it pinpointed in a smaller pattern, when dug was a quarter. I got some overload signals too, but nothing like the first time out with the factory gain settings. I up my filter from 10 to 20 and it helped with the noise, so I up it to 50 and made quite a difference on noise as I was more interested in learning the detector than trying to pick out good items next to trash. Still dug quite a bit trash items from rusty bottle caps to screw caps even in 3 tones as this is where I like running mine. Got a tip on how to tell the rusty bottle caps from the coins from a few on this forum and tried it today and guess what? It works Petty much, but can be fooled too. The tip was to not get in a big hurry to dig, but to listen to the target response more and checking it from several ways and like I was told a rusty bottle cap when getting to the edge of it by pulling the coil back will drop out fast and change the tone, while a coin will gradually get weaker. Starting to pay more attention now to the way the signal sounds and how solid it is and checking it in pinpoint too to make sure I am reading the target and not some other item beside it.
Still have a few more problems yet and got to use it more, but one thing is every target I have found show 2-3 inches deep with some deeper than that, one was a button about the size of a quarter that was around 4 inches deep and the bigger trash items also show at 2-3 inches deep, cant seem to find a item that shows deeper that 2-3 inches deep even weaker sounding target 2-3 inches deep. Now on Friday I tied our local school that been hunted to death and there is some new coins being lost so it is worth a try. got a high and yet went to med tone depending on how you swing the coil over it with a ID of 82-83 and sounded louder in pinpoint than most and it was a zinc penny I was surprised it was giving a med tone mixed with the high tone, but rescanned the spot and seem to give a lower tone that covered a good foot across, so could be the reason. Dug a few alum screw caps that fooled me which I expected and feel once I get to know it better I should be able to tell some of these as some I guess they were, but just had to dig them anyway to make sure. I did find a couple of things that impressed me some with one a decent high tone reading, but yet had the iron tone to it also and it too showed 3 inches deep and being different then the other signals I had to dig. Down around 5 inches I pulled out a very old 5 inch jackknife that the blades were steel and very rusty, but the ends look like copper or brass, so that impressed me. Just before I left I got a nice signal and it too showed 2-3 inches deep and it was what looks like a nice alum jelly jar cover as there is no writing on it, but looks like a couple of strawberry's on it that stand off the cover by 1/8 inch or so. The area I was working is by the now playground, but the original school sat there from early 1900 until 1958 when it was tore down and leveled the area.
The things I have learned and got much more to learn is to be patience and get to know what this detector is telling you, not tying to run it too hot as it is more sensitive than many are at max sensitivity, nice to have too much sensitivity if you need it and turn it down when you don't need it than not to have enough when you do need it.
First time I used it it seem to overload a lot, now only overloads once in a while and that is because of a large target, not had it overload on a surface coin yet, run the factory gain in the 3 tone option. Don't notice much or any real falsing than any other detector I have used, used some with no chatter at all, but those were not deep seeking detectors either. I seem to run a higher filter than factory so I don't have to listen to so much of the trash, but don't run higher then 50.
Those that have one and want to learn it you have to have patience, get to know it well and to learn it, keep it simple and not to run it too hot until you get to know it better then when you know it you can run it hotter. This is what I did to learn my Sovereigns and to help others get to know theirs also.
Good luck to others and many like myself like to read any tips others have to help our learning curve be a little faster.

Rick

Here's some tips that will help. Right off the bat turn the gain to 39 upon starting the detector. Not that much difference in depth. The best iron disc on the market, believe it. Reading your post you are in a somewhat trashy site. The machines sees so much metal you won't get depth in modern trash. Your other machines didn't see the small metal anyway, or the target that's hiding there, that's the deciding factor for me. That's what all the sounds are that the detector makes. You're hunting targets that have not been missed but have not been seen, that's a key thing to remember. The machine does not need a fast swing, I run mine about a 2 second one way pass and it works wonderfully even slower. You want/need to be able to digest what is in the ground. You are searching, not clipping the peaks as a lot of machines do. At a default of 10 for me I hear most everything. I didn't like the filter raised above that, the response becomes different to a target, slightly choppy, rather different sounding audio. What some don't realize is the main reason these work is you are getting to make the decision to dig by virtually hearing it all. Ole time detecting? What a difference that makes instead of some setting or filter that gives you what "it" wants you to hear and decides that for you. Several things fall into that 82 zone, if it doesn't lock there and sound short toned on the pass, it's probably not worth digging. If it is clipped or sounds scratchy through the phones odds are it's not good metal. The machine will teach you rather quickly what a bad target sounds like. Then the good ones are a hammer to the head, that obvious. A great set of phones is a must imo in heavy modern trash, not just the cheapest KMart ones you can find. Very very sensitive machine and really should be treated that way. The saturation with the machine being so sensitve is just a byproduct of the machine being able to see what other machines have not in that 4-5 inch and under depth range. Heres my analogy of this. A lot of machines have not seen what I've been finding in the simplest places and really shallow. targets. It's like turning your high beams on in fog. They can't see for the fog/small metal debri. The Turkish machines taking the low beam approach let's say, being able to see "very good" what's in front of the coil. Not saying low beam means low power, quite the opposite mind you. As many are finding, 2 tone is good, 3 tone is fabulous on this machine. The big advantage is you are being alerted to something in the higher conductivity range by a machine that really just about sees everything. It's the easiest to discern good vs bad target. Then you can investigate further with the coil "how it sounds". Later take the machine into neverworld by raising the gain way up to see some different stuff/sounds altogether. What I've seen with a lot of posts is people are wanting a setting, ha that's for the other machines LOL. Also quite a few are running the gain way up first time out, don't you're in for ear/brain beating. I would say gradually ease it up over time. In a day and age when a lot are used to having to adjust everything like a 16 yr old texting on a cellphone, these machines will change the way a lot of detectorist think. The pinnacle of turn on and go virtually.

Hey Jack,
I wonder if a 7 khz racer would be a better park hunter than the current 14? It may not see quite so much small stuff, yet be great on coins. You are right, the racer is a powerful machine. I like mine.

I wish I was smart enough to know about the different frequencies being better. At 14 it's see like a full blooded dyed in the wool gold machine. Somehow I think what we have known to be best might have changed somewhat. It might become a mundane machine then.

I think we are on the same page here as it sounds like the same advice I tell those that want to learn the Sovereigns, but one thing is the Sovereign has multi tones and it hates iron so we only hear a null or a signal one way after it goes over the target or breaking up. It takes a while to learn it like I feel the Racer will be so a person don't want to give up for a while and learn what you can. We also need to pick up on any tips others have given us to help with the learning curve. Much of the learning is from experience and learning what works the best for ourselves in our area and how we hunt, so what works for me may not work for you.
With my Sovereign I can just turn it on and start swinging and listen to the tones it make and when I hear the right one will stop me in my tracks, if solid nulls I know I am going to fast and have to slow down. When in a older well worked area and want to deeper and older coins I go real slow and I mean real slow and hear those deep and weak coins others have missed. Now I want to get to know the Racer this well and trying to unlock the power with out having to dig every piece of trash and why I haven't set my gain any higher than factory setting and have lowered them at time to help understanding it. I turned the gain once down to 20 something and notice quite a loss of depth, but think it made it run so smooth I thought it wasn't working.
Now that I am learning some of the basic I am hoping to go to a virgin yard in a older town in the next week to try it out in a area that have never been worked, or hope it never has been and see what this Racer will do, my wife will have her MXT so we will see what it can do.

Rick

Rick------You get as good on the Racer as you are on the Sovereign and there will be no stopping you!:biggrin:----Nobody knows the Sovereign & how to get the most out of it like you do!---------Del

Yes the Sovereign is quite the detector for those that get to know it, but my first impression wasn't very good and by using it and learning as I went it became one of my all time favorites. I am hoping I can do the same with the Racer as I like the weight and how it feels when swinging it, pinpoint nice on coin size targets and would not tire out a old person like me. the only thing that will stop me is my health and not getting the time to use it. When I go I think I will have a detector with as I will have the time if the detector can stand the heat as I am looking for the worst that can happen, if I go up than I know I will have the best detecting ever, got to plan ahead once in my life don't I ??

Del have you got your Racer yet?? If you do I hope you got some time to get out to try it as I would like to hear what you think about it too.

Rick

For me it is a turn on and go detector very easy to learn after using the deus and understanding it and be able to program it on the fly the race is easy as jam