Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got my new Tejon today!

KennyD

I've owned a few Tesoro heaters. But I'm new to the Tejon.
Any good operating tips for coin shooting trashy parks with the Tejon ???
I'm sticking with the stock coil too.

Make a test garden with coins from 7 to 12". Goes deep at lower sensi. settings too. Try it out and play around with it. You can make it much hotter by ground balancing in disc. That makes it more sensitive to hot rocks though. The Tejon is my main detector and I like to run it hot. Use headphones and listen for those soft hits. You can set the second dics different ways. Set it past pull tabs and you will know you have a coin. You can set it up so you can tell that a target might be a nickel. I like the Tejon. Hot on gold too. Get a small coil or the 5x10 for gold chains and ear rings.

It has a language you will learn. Thats the nice part with an analog detector as you know from the other tesoro's you've owned.

I think it's probably the deepest Tesoro made.

Rick

The Tejon can be a bit tricky to ground balance for some. If you turn the sens. down to 4 or 5 when ground balancing it is much easier. I also make sure I have the threshold set to a light hum before ground balancing. Focus on the audio on the down stroke when ground balancing and not so much on the rise. I also like to set the second disc just shy of knocking a penny out to use it as a coin check. Despite it's higher frequency it is a coin hound! Just be prepared to dig a little deeper than normal!

I don't use mine much on freshwater sand beaches anymore because it is just too deep. It will find the smallest things in the sand deep beyond your imagination. When Tesoro made the Tejon they hit a home run!

Thanks for the info Rainy day.
Just gave her a little run in the yard. This is gonna be one helluva machine.....

If you want it hotter and go deeper you want it to sound on the upstroke ground balancing. Ground balance positive or the down stroke runs much smoother. It depends on where you are hunting. Crank it way negative and it hits deep targets loud but I don't think you could hunt that way.

Rick

Great tips. But I thought getting a neutral ground balance was best. To even out the threshold tone on the up and down stroke......??

I don't use the second discrimination. I set the first one above iron and start swinging away.:detecting: My favorite coil on the Tejon so far is the 8 inch doughnut coil.

tabman

I've used a Tejon for three years now, great machine. Start with this info, a 16 page "Tejon tips and tricks" paper. http://metaldetectings.com/e107_files/public/tesoro_tejon_tips_ii.pdf

Also Amazon sells a Kindle book "Mastering the Tesoro Tejon and Vaquero Metal Detectors" for about $10, well worth it.

KennyD said:
I've owned a few Tesoro heaters. But I'm new to the Tejon.
Any good operating tips for coin shooting trashy parks with the Tejon ???
I'm sticking with the stock coil too.

I have the stock set up. It is deep and sensitive in the black loam further north of were I am. I have picked up needles, small shot and a thin brass dress pin from a northern fur trade location, along with the obvious larger stuff.... I'll see if I can find some Tejon hunt finds.

Congrats Kenny!! Lots of great advice from all, especially that 16 page document with the link provided by Oldguy. Because you referenced 'trashy parks', I'll add an additional suggestion. Building a 'test bed' is great advice, but replicate what you're expecting the best you can when building it. Put some stuff at different depths, but most importantly, put some 'bad' stuff (nails, etc) close to something like a coin or ring so that you can hear the difference in sound an repsonse on targets that out in the open, and those that have some trash close by influencing their response. Can't tell you how many good targets I have found whose repoonse was only in one direction, but I dug anyway beause the sound was similar or identical to some targets masked in the test bed.
Happy hunting.
RicS

The Tejon can be a bit tricky to ground balance for some. If you turn the sens. down to 4 or 5 when ground balancing it is much easier. I also make sure I have the threshold set to a light hum before ground balancing. Focus on the audio on the down stroke when ground balancing and not so much on the rise. I also like to set the second disc just shy of knocking a penny out to use it as a coin check. Despite it's higher frequency it is a coin hound! Just be prepared to dig a little deeper than normal!

I don't use mine much on freshwater sand beaches anymore because it is just too deep. It will find the smallest things in the sand deep beyond your imagination. When Tesoro made the Tejon they hit a home run!
Deep on fresh water beaches is Eggzactly what I'm looking for.
Especially on a highly mineralized beaches.

Set your second disc to silence all pull tabs, your first to get a good nickel signal. It will not take long to hear what a good coin target sounds like. Eventually you will probably find yourself pushing the trigger forward not near as often and lowering the disc a little to get smaller jewelry. This is what I think is called "cherry picking". It is a good way to start learning.

Set your second disc to silence all pull tabs, your first to get a good nickel signal. It will not take long to hear what a good coin target sounds like. Eventually you will probably find yourself pushing the trigger forward not near as often and lowering the disc a little to get smaller jewelry. This is what I think is called "cherry picking". It is a good way to start learning.
How would you set it for earrings and their clamps?
How deep will it see earrings ?

So how would you set it for earrings ?
I also have the 3.5×6" NEL Snakecoil.
Though I haven't had it on the beach yet.