Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Got out to a local park today.............

A

Anonymous

Found 87 cents, all clad a few whatzits and my first silver of the year came in the form of a childs birthstone ring, it has 925 on the inside of the band. Most coins were 2-5 inches. Dug what looks like some kinda bullet at 7 inches the a bolt of some kind at 8 inches and did some clean up while I was there. No greats finds but it was warm and I enjoyed getting out for a while. I used the 14 inch coil relic mode 0 disc trigger forward and dug all high tones, here's a pic., the good the bad and the ugly.
Ray

How big of area did you end up covering to get so many targets? It would be interesting to see how many of the targets would have been rejected if you ran some discrimination. Takes a lot of time to make the comparison before each dig, but might be worth the effort to see how the 14 acts with varying degrees of discrmination. Good job Ray.

Digger, The park is very big so I just picked a spot next to a big oak tree and just worked a straight line towards another dig tree, Probally went 40-50 feet and the distance of a sweep wide 4-5 feet, so not really alot of ground covered. You read all the time about small jewelry and smaller ladies gold rings haveing low vdi's and from using it I know that the mxt will average the vdi of 2 targets very close together so I figure if I dig everything that beeps the only thing I'll leave behind is what I don't get the coil over and what it won't reach. You can disc out quite alot of stuff running the disc at 4. Most foil will be disced out but then so is small gold. I have found that it is hard to disc out trash without the possibility of loosing a good target too. To each his own but that's just me, if I take the time to get out there I am going to try to get all the ground had to offer, good or bad. And as you can see the bad often out weighs the good.
Ray

Spent an hour in a spot the size of a kitchen table, the thing with the dime on it was a measured 21 inches deep.
Ray

Ray- with that digging philosophy - how often do you get rings? I guess you wont miss them if you go over them.
I was at a park today and i had so many tones, i wasnt sure what to leave an what to dig - a lot of tones seemed good - but then were next to items that were breaking up the first tone or cutting it short - so due to lack of time I guess i cherry picked and just dug the solid repeatable tones - mt settigns were : C/J, gain preset, disc preset, threshhold audible, gnd track
John

Usually get one ring about every 10 pounds of trash. Seems like it anyway, but seriously to date I have had the mxt 11 months, I have dug 3 high scool class rings, I gold wedding band 4 gold plated rings 5 silver rings and a big handfull of junk rings. One class ring came from beside a school side walk littered with twist tops that came in from 35-40 vdi, that rings was a solid 37 vdi. Another smaller class ring in front of some high school bleachers came in at a solid 22 vdi as did the 100's of tabs. A gold wedding band came in at a solid 22. The last class ring came outside of a school play area where there could not have been a kid there with a zipper on their coat, these zippers came in at the 30-40 vdi range, the class ring was a solid 30 vdi. So of the rings I have found all came in at the nickel range or higher, maybe I am diggin all that junk for nothing ??
Ray

Ray,
looks like if disc is set allow items of 10 or higher through, most rings will be heard?
What is your preferred mode?
I am planning to get to know 1 mode at a time, so would prefer to stick to C/J mode for the first few months. Though I see there are MXT vets who like the relic mode, with high/low tones. I also plan to stay with the stock 950 eclipse coil for a good time, to get to know the STANDARD machine before i add on other coils - anyway - have spent all money now - so time to go hunting!
John

John,
My favorite mode with the stock coil was C/J. The settings i used were killer on coins. i got nickels at 8 inches. Coin Mode, Gain on 9, disc on 2 groung to track trigger in center and threshold just below sound. All the rings I found that I posted earlier where found with the stock coil using this set up. Coin mode works great. However I found relic mode to do better in rusted iron trash. Hit an old home site where and old house had been pushed down. Alot of nails and big iron, ground read in the 70's just a rough place to look. I switched to relic mode set the disc on 4 trigger forward went slow and dug only repeating high tones and pulled out a 1916 merc dime(back obliterated) a 1909 wheatie a 1928 buff nickel and 28 more wheats and a 1920-1930 eagle button. The stock was the only coil I had for 8 months, I had no choice but to use it every where and it will do a good job. But to learn the machine I would say yes , learn the coin mode at a moderate gain setting and once you get the hang of what it will do and what it is telling you than play with more gain and the other modes, it will seem like a different machine in each mode, and actually it is, that is the great thing about the MXT, it is one of the most versatile machines out there and it will find treasure with the best of them.
Ray

Ray,
thanks for that - i am rading about the bigger coils, but will avoid furhter expense until I am "one" with this unit and that way I will alos appreciate any different coil more - i am still discovering the mxt!
winter heads on here - New Zealand - whilst you guys are warming up!
take care
JOhn