Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPX 4800 advice

RCNWOH

Hello. Trying to figure out this forum so please be easy on me. I'm looking for some advice on the capabilities of the GPX 4800. My situation is that an area that I hunt with my e-trac has stopped producing. The coins are still there at 10-12 inches (maybe deeper) mixed with nails. Is the 4800 a good choice for this application? My biggest concern is how will the discrimination work with coins and can I tell a nickel from a penny from silver? Also looking for a new challenge. Thanks for any input. Rick

Does anyone here use the 4800 to hunt coins? From what I have read or watched it looks like it should work well for me at these depths. I will see in the next couple of weeks and report back. Thanks Bart for the great deal.

I don't think you will find many people that use a GPX to hunt coins. I will use my GPX in a trashy site only if there is no aluminum, because in that case all non-ferous items are usually good targets. But if you are going to a site with a lot of can slaw or modern trash, your Etrac is the best tool you have. The GPX simply only tells you if it is iron or non-iron, nothing more. A Large cent will sound like a nickle, gold, lead, brass... you name it.

If you are going to hunt a site loaded with iron, I've found that you will have to go super slow... after it blanks stop moving and wait for the threshold to return.... then move slow again.... I have hunted a few sites loaded with nails and such.... what I have noticed is that it is hard to hear the deep faint sounds because of the blast from surface targets. It can be done, but requires a LOT of paitence.

Jut my 2.5 cents. :)

Thanks for the response Mach1 Pilot. I have hunted this place for the last 15 years with four different Minelab machines and done well taking over 100 silvers. The E trac has done an excellent job of finding masked targets down to about 8" due to slight mineralization. Over the years I have removed most of the shallow non ferrous trash in about 75% of the area. Do you recommend any settings for the slower sweep speed? Thanks Rick