Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPX 4800 finds

RCNWOH

I'm new with the pictures thing, and this is from the Xoom so let's see what happens. I have attached a picture of the coin finds for the past 25 hours. Every one of these was found with trash in the same hole, usually iron. I was once concerned about coins getting discriminated out with nails but found that is not the case. The 4800 will give a good signal on bent nails, double nails, a nail with anything, short bolts, nuts, flat washers, and winged nuts. Pull tabs, pop tops, and foil balls always give a good strong signal too. Most of my targets have been 10" or less and the response is almost always low high low. I have not seen enough of the high low high response to understand when this will occur on coin sized targets. I run the dd coil with iron mask at 10 and sharp soil timing. Any advice from some of you veterans? Thanks, Rick

I run a 5000 looking for gold and a friend uses a 4800 chassing gold.Relic hunting I would not use max discrimination some where around 5 is good, use dd in mono mode try it, that way the dics still works. Deep on the front, audio quiet invert the single if you have a high target volume they become a little noisey 10 -13 is ok

I don't coin shoot with mine or nugget hunt. It gets used strictly for relic hunting.

Typically my GPX comes out for DIV. However, I generally never run my Disc above 5. I have found some buttons act like iron. If the Disc is set high you will miss them. I'm willing to bet there are some coins that fall into this realm.

Thanks for the response IDig. I would like to hunt nuggets or battle fields with the 4800, but that's not what I have here locally. The GPX does work with coins but it's been a little disappointing cleaning up after the eTrac. I will try your suggestions once it starts raining again. I haven't been able to dig in the grassy areas for about four weeks now.

iron bark, thank you for the suggestions. We've had near drought conditions in this part of the Midwest so I have not had the 4800 out for a while. I was not aware that some buttons could act like iron, any idea why? I was trying to minimize some of my digging by using the higher iron reject. Hope to see some rain soon so I can get back out there and learn this machine.

On the buttons acting like iron.

I don't know that the conditions are the same in the soil where you are. As I said I only bring out the GPX for DIV in Virginia. There the soil is very conductive. Certain buttons do what some call a turkey gobble. I'm not sure if it's the nature of how the button is made. Some buttons have gold plated brass fronts and tin backs, whether it's the amount of corrosion in the button or the way it's oriented in the ground.

When the GPX hits iron it nulls out completely. When it hits certain buttons there is a partial nulling, then partial good signal. Its like the machine can't make up its mind what the target is iron or not. Those are the signals that ya just have to dig.

Typically if I get one of those signals I scoop off an inch or so of dirt. If it now nulls then I know it's iron, if it still gobbles at me I dig it.

Until you have one of these signals yo won;t really understand the sound just suffice to say a partial null/good signal needs to be investigated further.

I wish my GPX4500 would null out iron effectively. Anything past 12" sings clear as a bell, even with iron reject at 10. Are the 4800/5000 really that much more improved?

Actually I have been told by a Minelab tester that iron nulling only works to about 6". He said that no manufacturer has been able to get iron nulling to work and deeper. Most of us seem to think that it works really deep but then we recover that nail at 12" and scratch our heads. Thats why!