Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

GPX 5000 for coins in mineralized ground?

smgorsch

No experience with a PI so all help appreciated.

I have an old VLF (ML Explorer II) which is close to useless beyond a few inches in the highly mineralized ground where I live. Would a PI like the GPX "see" through this? I know that the coin mode is only for ideal "neutral" soils, so that I would be digging pretty much everything. Is is easy to accurately pinpoint the target with a PI? Any other thoughts about using this for detecting in bad soil?

thanks

Hello,

Sounds like your explorer II is effected by mineralization, to the point you're looking at a good PI for extra depth.

Takes allot of practice to get the pinpointing down, motion side to side is how I pinpoint and still can be off a little. Going to the Comander 10" x 5" DD greatly helped me narrow down the target, for me this coil is best when park hunting coins.

Before the GPX. Used an ATX for hunting parks but that was after putting in hundreds of hours of Relic hunting. Between the two, Prefer the ATX for park hunting deeper coins. Mainly because of the audio on deeper signals, and more comfortable with the ATX for this type of hunting. Plus, No need to check the weaker signals with iron check because iron check won't work with deeper weak signals, with the ATX if the signal is weak dig it regardless if high/low or low/high may be a deep buffalo or v--nickel or wheatie or silver coin. And of course may be iron or trash, you're going to dig allot of trash for sure.

I believe the ATX has a pinpoint mode, never used it. Stock DD coil is great for park hunting, as big as the stock DD coil is still does a great job amounest the trash.

Although I've had the GPX for about 9-10 months, and really like it allot especially for relic hunting more so than the ATX still haven't got the deep Coin detecting down as I do with the ATX. Still, haven't gave up as I'm experimenting with settings, still using the 10" x 5" DD because strongly feel this coil enhances separation yet gets serious depth for trashy park conditions.

Eventually, With the GPX it'll all come together using it as a deep Coin PI once I get more familiar with settings. The GPX is much more powerful than the ATX, so it's a bit tougher to control in trashy conditions. With the GPX, the problem is not enough performance the problem is too much. Finding ways to reduce sensitivity yet maintain depth is key for park hunting, Eventually it'll all come together as it did with the ATX.

Just occurred to me, and I thank you for creating this post this idea may not have entered my mind had it not been for your post... Next time I use the GPX for park hunting, will operate with zero discrimination. What's happening is with discrimination this may enhance masking with the PI trying to discriminate out ferrous. ...I'm going after deeper signals and discrimination doesn't work on deeper targets, so in a sense why use discrimination when only digging weaker signals.

Seriously, Thank you so much this may help me with the GPX for park hunting.

Good luck and Merry Christmas
Paul

Earl K. in VA. over on another forum has done quite well with cherry picking coins out of old homesites that are typically loaded with iron. Basically he turns gain way down and stabilizer way up. Send me a pm if you would like a link to the thread.