Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Great day out with the Core yesterday.

wayne_etc

Hit a few old homesites with a couple friends yesterday. Spots had been hit pretty hard by one of them over the last 10 years or so, so finds were few and far between. That was fine though. It was a beautiful day, saw some cool wildlife, and scored a couple keepers. Ran Di3, sensitivity up to about 80, ground balanced auto at around 65, 11" coil, iron mask 10, tracking off.

This is the first old house we hit.
[attachment 310649 house.jpg]
Scored the art deco lighter and buckle here. As I said in another post, the buckle gave an overload signal once out of the hole. Also found a crusty nickel in a spot that had been pounded. I thought it may have been a buffalo but after a little cleaning I could see Monticello.

I didn't take a pic of the second homesite. All that was left was a pile of chimney blocks. This is where we saw the rat snake. I love seeing them. When one friend came walking out shouting "snake!", I was running in to see it.
[attachment 310651 snake.jpg]

The third homesite had only a chimney standing.
[attachment 310654 chimney.jpg]

Saw the box turtle on the way in.
[attachment 310652 turtle.jpg]
Found the decorative "thing" at this site. Would welcome any ideas as to what it is.

Here are the finds. Realizing that a bad "iffy" signal on the Core is generally junk. The good things really do give give signals from (nearly) all directions.
Was an awesome day even without lots of good finds. The Core did well as I was the only one with any keepers.

Hope ya'll got to get out this weekend, and hope everyone has a blessed Easter.

[attachment 310653 finds.jpg]

w

Great post Wayne! Did you find mostly iron trash at that site?

Fwiw, I'm amazed, when relic hunting, how well a job that the stock coil does...and yes I know the smaller coil is the cat's meow, but how well the stock coil does in trash separation (when you get a good signal, and SLOW down to "find it and pinpoint it")

I can almost feel the coil like a knife, slicing thru butter, in reference to finding the goodies amongst iron!

I only dug a couple pieces of iron all day. The iron signals were definitely iron. I did dig one deeep nail that gave a high pitch squeak from all directions. And ditto about the large coil. Helps to use narrow sweeps in higher concentrations of trash. You can do the "Minelab wiggle" and isolate tones.

w

Wayne I need to sit down and share what I learned from the stock coil, iron nails, odd shaped iron, shell frags, etc.

Last week when I had a chance to relic hunt, I learned the following things with the CoRe. I was using Di2 mode, stock coil, varied between 60-95 or so on sensitivity, iron mask between 10-17 (I was still experimenting with the unit) The most accurate for ME was in THAT 3rd field (afternoon hunt) was between 80-85.........whereas the 60-70 range was better in the first 2 spots (could have been the "too much chatter" than I was used to (morning hunt) with the overhead lines, "live fence" turned on, not having the correct GB in the soybean field and cow pasture, etc.

When I got a signal that bounced between 18-22 then back and forth up to 48-54, it was a shell frag. On my other post, I showed the "trickies" that I dug. In hopes of more shell frags or whatever.

So it did well finding large iron (I didn't post the picture of the large AND small horse shoes though), but learned what not to dig (small iron, I dug 1 small nail just got kicks and giggles, even though the CoRe DEFINITELY told me it was iron). Even if the TID would occasionally bounce into the higher numbers, you could tell audibly what to dig and what not to dig.

So now I just need to figure out how NOT to dig the "iffies" or "trickies", and I'll be all set! :)

Now next time I want to try more relic hunting in Di3 mode, as the modulated audio/VCO thing could be the reason that I dug those "trickies"? I'll have to find out next time.

One more thing. Did I notice a depth increase going from 70 to say 95, in Di2? Not per se. But I did notice that the audibly good and bad signals were not as "tight sounding" or as accurate (more modulation maybe?), the higher I went on the sensitivity?

Here are the trickies again

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah268/bubbadirect/Mobile%20Uploads/20150401_192719_zpsebwe2vwu.jpg

Very nice finds Wayne. I also find the stock coil does an admirable job in high trash areas. I am almost hesitant to get the small coils as I haven't hit up and area where I felt the stock coil couldn't pick through.