Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Gulfport Ms

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I am new to detecting. In fact I don't even have a detector yet. However I am going to be in Gulfport Ms the middle of March and will have one by then. I will be there a week and hope to do some detecting on the beach. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions regarding detecting there or can give a beginner some tips. Thanks

There were a couple of areas that people aren't allowed in because of the vegetation, and, I believe, some sort of nesting ground.
Just follow the rules, fill in your holes, don't wave any good finds around, and have fun. HH

What kind of machine are you going to purchase? If you purchase a water machine you can take it out into the water but if you purchase any other kind of machine you have to be careful. The first thing you have to ask yourself is where you are mainly going to detect and what kind of machine you will be getting. If you live near a beach you may want to have a machine that is waterproof if you want to relic hunt you may want another kind of machine. Then you may want a machine that can possibly do both. The main mistake that alot of people make is to buy a machine in a hurry and not give a thought as to where they will be spending most of their time out on the field. If you buy a good machine you will be making a big investment and it will pay off for you. If you buy some rinky dink machine, sure you will find some stuff but you will probably end up selling it for something that is nicer or you will end up with it hanging in your closet collecting dust like so many other people have done. You should get a treasure magazine like Western and Eastern Treasure Magazine. They have alot of detectors to chose from and also get on the forums and look up the different makes and models and do some research of what detector would best suit your needs. You will be glad you did. HH

I am not looking for a water machine. I am just going to be down there for a few days and wanted some info regarding MD'ing on the beaches something to do for a couple of hours a day while I'm down there. Most of my MD'ing will be inland. But thanks for the advice.

You may or may not be aware the beaches in Gulfport are pumped in sand. I usually go a couple times a year, just because it is close. Do not expect to find much. The beaches are not very pretty, and do not attract large crowds of people with expensive jewelry. Lots of garbage. The water is very shallow, the sand will not go out that far, then you get into a black goo/mud. You couldn't get in the water last summer for the jellyfish. I spent 2 hours there last weekend and found 55 cents, no jewelry. Never have found a decent ring there.
Having said all this, I fully expect you will go out and find 8 or 9 diamond rings cause that is the way it works. Good luck.