Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

have a couple questions about hunting in all-metal and adjusting noise cancel.

yogaguy

Hi All. I have a question about hunting in the all-metal mode, and about adjusting the noise cancel. The first question may have an obvious answer, but I thought I'd ask it anyways. I was wondering when you hunt in all-metal if the targets signals you get for iron and all the other metals you may be looking for, if they are considered "good targets" when you get that same 2-way repeatable sound the same as if you were hunting for coins or jewelry? In short, should I look for a good repeatable signal for all targets? And second, I notice the noise cancel is set at 50% when I check it in the menu. I was just wondering if there would be a reason why someone wold want to lower or raise the noise cancel setting, and if so, in what circumstances would it be appropriate to raise and lower it? Thank's again all. HH. Sincerely, Randy

Randy,

There are a couple key differences between Coin and Jewelry modes and All Metal.

First, in All Metal, you are using Ferrous tones and in Coin/Jewelry the default tones are conductive. So they sound different. Most experienced users I know have expressed a favor for the Ferrous tones, though it really is a preference.

Second, in Coin/Jewelry you are knocking out Iron and some other trash that will cause the Quattro to "null out" when you go over those items. In All Metal, instead of nulling out when you go over iron and other items that fall below the Coin/Jewelry range, you will get the appropriate tone for the item and the target ID number...usually a negative number, perhaps as low as -10 for iron.

So the answer to the question are all "2-way repeatable targets good targets?" is a definite "No". And you may very well get a two-way repeat from a junk target. Basically, when you hunt in All Metal, ALL targets are simply targets. In other words, you're running no discrimination, so the machine detects METAL, like a metal detector...in the truest sense. It's up to you to decide, based on the numbers and the tones.

When last we spoke I recommended you put the machine in All Metal, lay out a blanket with a variety of targets, good and bad, and test, test, test. Did you do that?

Finally, the Noise Cancel is automatic. Stay out of the menu and pay no attention to it. Run it from the main panel. Set the coil on some clean ground, press the Noise Cancel, let it run through to 100%, and hunt.

Hi Mike. Thank's for the help. I did do the testing that you mentioned with the blanket. I have began to notice now when I hunt that most, (but not all), "good" targets usually don't change their i.d. numbers by more than 3-4 tops. By this I mean that if I got a signal for a penny at 34, and it hopped around a little from 34 to say 31, when I dug it up it was always a penny. So I'm learning that targets that register in certain ranges don't fluctuate their numbers by much, which means I'm digging less junk and digging better targets, at least pennies :) I wasn't planning on messing with the noise cancel, I just noticed when I checked it from the menu that it is set at 50% on my detector. And I was just wondering if that was the factory-set range for the quattro, because I did'nt adjust it to 50% when I purchased it, it was already set there. So was just wondering if it was set right is all. Thank's again Mike. Sincerely, Randy

It sounds like you are getting the idea as far as the variances with the numeric ID...that's true for the most part, that junk...especially aluminum and "scraps" of metal will often be all over the place on the ID. Coin-sized objects, bullets, buttons, rings...they tend to be much more stable and act more predictably.

Now here's the thing with the Noise Cancel. I'm not sure why it says 50%, because 50% is not a "setting", it's a degree of completion of the noise cancel process. All it does is to go through the process, from 0 to 100%, and "choose the best channel" (per the book) for the conditions you're hunting in...relative to electrical interference. So the fact that it says 50% in the menu means nothing, since it is not a setting. Call it an engineering peculiarity.

Hi Mike. Yeah I think I'm slowly, but surely, figuring out how to use the quattro better. I'll just continue to practice :) Thank's for the insight on the noise cancel feature. I guess as long as I'm finding stuff that's all that matters :) Thank's again. Sincerely, Randy