Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Headphone jacks and their location

BH_Landstar_

After having a number of metal detectors over the last year, I have found that there is a problem (well, for me it's been a problem). It's the location of the headphone jack(s). The Gold Bug Pro is also included in this problem.

After going through 3 headphones over the last year I decided to look to see if I could solve the problem with the audio lead getting damaged at the end, you know, the plug end, the cable becomes so stressed that it starts to break, split and you end up losing audio in either the left or the right and finally the lead comes away from the plug leaving you high and dry with no audio on your headphones !

I put together a small patch lead to move the headphone jack to the back of the arm rest (see pics). I've taped the lead in place (white tape for now) to carry out some tests and to see how well this setup works. I am going to replace the white tape with some cable ties for more testing. I am also going to replace the small jack plug for a right angled one, this will make the lead flush with the metal detector and not stick out so far.

The lead to the headphones now runs up my back and not in front of me, this has also taken away the stress on the cable when the metal detector is being swung from side to side. Also, the cable does not get in the way when I kneel down to dig a target from out of the ground as it's behind me or to the right.

I'll update this thread after I've done some heavy testing out on the field to see how the audio lead on my headphones hold up (as soon as the snow melts that is, sigh).

Good stuff, BH_Landstar; thanks for sharing. This will be a good idea to keep in mind if I have similar issues. Where'd you get the short patch cord?

I know with another of my detectors in the past (a BH Time Ranger) that I bought a 90-degree adapter from Radio Shack, about six bucks; this allowed -- like you say -- the headphone jack to not stick out so far (as it did when plugged into the machine directly), but rather be more "flush" with the machine. Further, the RS adapter seemed to be able to easily spin/rotate in the machine's jack (it wouldn't pull out, but would rotate) -- which was nice in that it further cut down on the "stress" to the connector end of the headphones. With it able to rotate freely, the cord/connector was much-less-often "pulled" in a way that would stress the cord. I just left the 90-degree adapter in the machine, and plugged/uplugged the phones to/from the adapter.

Thanks again -- I may need to try your mod on my machine!

Steve

The location of the headphone jack was one of my problems with the new G2. I guess the idea of having two sizes of headphone jacks is good, but didn't like the headphone jack sticking straight out across my path. I like your idea but for the time being I have gone with a 90 degree adapter from Radio Shack. Just turning the headphone jack down has helped me a bunch. I will be watching your thread because I like what you are doing. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Don
HH

sgoss66 said:
Good stuff, BH_Landstar; thanks for sharing. This will be a good idea to keep in mind if I have similar issues. Where'd you get the short patch cord?

I know with another of my detectors in the past (a BH Time Ranger) that I bought a 90-degree adapter from Radio Shack, about six bucks; this allowed -- like you say -- the headphone jack to not stick out so far (as it did when plugged into the machine directly), but rather be more "flush" with the machine. Further, the RS adapter seemed to be able to easily spin/rotate in the machine's jack (it wouldn't pull out, but would rotate) -- which was nice in that it further cut down on the "stress" to the connector end of the headphones. With it able to rotate freely, the cord/connector was much-less-often "pulled" in a way that would stress the cord. I just left the 90-degree adapter in the machine, and plugged/uplugged the phones to/from the adapter.

Thanks again -- I may need to try your mod on my machine!

Steve

I made the lead, got the 3 core wire (lead) from an electronics shop, like Radio Shack and the two connectors as well. I soldered the connectors / jacks to the wire myself as the pre-made ones you can get was either too long or too short.

cometguy said:
The location of the headphone jack was one of my problems with the new G2. I guess the idea of having two sizes of headphone jacks is good, but didn't like the headphone jack sticking straight out across my path. I like your idea but for the time being I have gone with a 90 degree adapter from Radio Shack. Just turning the headphone jack down has helped me a bunch. I will be watching your thread because I like what you are doing. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Don
HH

Yes, I found that the big jack / plug was a pain, it sticks out to far. to solve that the 90 degree adaptor works well, but I was looking for other options for my 2 problems.

1/ Cable breakage due to stress

2/ Cable getting in the way when kneeling down to dig.

So far, this has solved them both, but more tests are needed to be sure.

My headphones are a 1/8 plug and the connector is at 90 Degrees. They also come stock with a in line volume control. After a year of hunting no problems with breakage But I agree sometimes get in my way when going to dig. Ive made adjustments in my digging style and that has become a habit for me to place the cable over my knee when I kneel down. Its become second nature to do this so it takes me no more time. I like the patch cord you created and might have to give it a try. The only change I would make is to use a 90 plug at the control box and if you take off your arm rest you can moisten your hand grip and slid it off and place the cable through it and replace the grip. Or even use a pen to stick under the grip then fish the connector through while backing out the pen Just like fishing a wire in wall of a house.
Good job!

If you want the Cadillac, A armrest/stand and plug patch .Jeff Hertke makes one, around $50. They are nice.....

Try this you might like it-------------I do a lot of hunting in brush and closely spaced small trees and am always gettting hung up and putting pressure on the connector-----did this Ran the cord up inside my sleeve amd out the collar---ended the hang up on brush. You do have to unplug the cord but that is a lot easier than fight the brush etc. and that way you can hear the machines speaker when doing the final locating. Your phones can stay on your head. Just a passing thought as to make it a little easier for some----------Barney

it would be a good idea also to cover the headphone jack hole your not using so nothing can get in there.

Electrical tape solves that one.