Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Help With Gold Detector.

Happy_Hour

My friend who is a geologist for Mobile oil will be going to Africa for 6 months and where he is going sits in a region where gold is found...Money is no object to him and what type of detector if it was you, take with you. He has no hands on experience with a detector. He has told me that the ground would be unforgiving for a detector...

doc holiday232 said:
MineLab 4500.

Doc, was that a hard question. If I knew anything about gold detectors, I would not have asked this question.

doc holiday232 said:
MineLab 4500.

I was going to reply with the very same answer.....glad I didn't :rolleyes:

Ah what the heck.......Minelab GPX 4500 !!

If he has never detected before he should get the Minelab Gold Monster 1000. It is quite simple to learn and have success qith. It can handle the heavy mineralization quite well for a vlf.

I really like my SDC2300, especially for traveling! In the Arizona gold fields I haven’t felt the need for anything else, but that machine is also tailored to the type of detecting I do, and the fact that a backpacking trip is never out of the question. It’s also essentially ‘turn on and go’. That said, the 4500 would be my choice for adaptability due to the ability to change coils. In a new area, a small coil like the Joey, and 8 or 11” commander, and one larger coil in the 14-17 range for the deep stuff and he’d be set. Oh, a lightweight battery setup such as the RC options people get for these...oh and a ‘screamer’ type speaker...etc...etc..lol. Or he could pick up a Monster for much less money and still do well. What are people using where he’s going? What do THEY consider best for the type and depth of gold they typically find? The gold monster is financially a very safe choice at ~$800 while the others could be several thousand. Is this a once in a lifetime chance to make a haul? Money is no object-get a GPZ and LEARN it first.

I have no idea where your friend will be working, but wherever it is, there are a few things he should keep in mind.

If locals are busy seeking alluvial gold, they will likely react pretty negatively if they find he is “competing” with them.

Mobile has no doubt specific authorization to do exploration for petroleum resources. I doubt this extends to searching for gold nuggets. He could get himself fired or his company in serious trouble for violation of their contract/permit for exploration.

Here’s a link to their report on African operations

https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/en/company/annual-report/global-operations/upstream-africa

Second vote for the SDC 2300. Why? Because you say he has no experience detecting gold and you can give a kid the SDC and they can find gold with it - very user friendly. The GPX series or GPZ would otherwise fall into the "money is no object," best detector. categories. As previously said, the SDC is also incredibly travel friendly.

Happy_Hour said:
My friend who is a geologist for Mobile oil will be going to Africa for 6 months and where he is going sits in a region where gold is found...Money is no object to him and what type of detector if it was you, take with you. He has no hands on experience with a detector. He has told me that the ground would be unforgiving for a detector...

A geologist with no metal detecting experience? Tsk tsk tsk.