Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here's My Non-Motion vs.Motion Results On The ATX

John-Edmonton

Staff member
nonmotion_zpsb528c7b6.jpg~original

Here are todays air tests performed on the ATX metal detector. Again, to maintain a certain level of reliability, no rings, no belts, watches and I wore sweats. Test performed in the woods. No power lines for at least 1/4 mile. Today I did the test without wearing the headsets. Wearing a headset on my last set of non-motion air tests resulted in unrealistic results. The curly cord on the headset will get picked up on the coil in non-motion mode, giving me results so good that they were wrong. I did another test today, same targets, only using the speaker on the ATX box on full volume. As expected, increasing the sensitivity gets better depth. Increasing the threshold also increases the depth, although there comes a point where the audio gets too saturated with interference, making the high-low targets hard to distinguish, however, the low-high targets still easy to here. In non-motion, you have to use the re-tune button often, otherwise the unit starts to drift and the audio increases. While hunting this afternoon, I switches back and forth between motion and non-motion mode, and you definitely get a stronger audio with the non-motion mode. The targets with a larger mass tend to get picked up deeper in non-motion mode, whereas the smaller targets do well in motion mode. I am guessing that the non-motion mode would be the number one choice when searching for deep large gold nuggets.

motvsnonmot_zpsca20ff26.jpg~original

Here are the results of the same targets, with both sensitivity and threshold set at eight, to compare the motion mode against the non-motion mode. The ATX maintained the same settings, such as ground balance, operating frequency, auto track, volume and position of coil. Not all targets get better depth in non-motion mode, The small gold ring actuallu lost depth in non-motion mode. Possible due to positioning of the ring to the coil and maybe some human error. The 22 bullet also lost some depth in non-motion mode, maybe for the same reason as just noted. However, overall.....the non-motion mode definitely will give the user better depth.

Of course, this could be affected by the usual factors such as mineralization, EMI, set up of detector, coil size, just to name a few.

Considering these are air tests I am not all that impressed. Another inch on a nickel. I guess it will have to wait for real world in ground use to determine if this mode really offers any advantage worth the extra tuning effort. Probably just for slow searching a small area that has already produced targets.

Thank you very much for your efforts John.

Don't forget that is with the sensitivity at 8 and threshold at 8. You still have maneuverability on those to settings, and I doubt that each type of conductivity will increase equally individually on a %-age basis. As the ATX is tweaked to respond to gold, it might give you better results with an increase of either sensitivity, threshold or both.

Thanks John for the test. I suspect that non-motion will do better in ground results as the pulse charges the ground without any pre-set discrimination operating...that should help the real world results with the little lead bullet.
I'm just guessing of course :surprised:

How is the pinpointing with the stock coil? Easy or a bit of a challenge? Not including the Pro-Pointer to help, Lol

Alan

And....I wasn't using a headset. The reliability of doing a non-motion test using a headset is plaqued with inaccuracies. The higher the settings (sensitivity & threshold), the poorer results. Without the headset, I was probably missing some of the minor audio changes, which would have probably changed my final results.

While hunting the beach that day, a couple of faint blips in motion setting were greatly improved audibly when switching over to non-motion mode. In non-motion mode, the ATX still maintains it's low audio with silver and high audio with gold.

John, and everyone else, I have been a long time supporter and advocate of Garrett and the Infinium.

But before I can even think of dropping $2k to $2.5k on a new pulse unit that the R&D has been paid for through military sales prior to release to the public, I need a side by side comparison to the Infinium.

Looking back at your prior Air Tests in the Infinium classroom your air tests were performed indoors. This limited the ability for decent test results.
[attachment 276466 Infinium8and14airtest.jpg]
[attachment 276473 Infinium8and14nickleairtest.jpg]
Now the Infinium does not have sensitivity setting only threshold, but a side by side in the same outdoor environment would be beneficial.

I think this is what a lot of folks would like to see.

Thanks,
Davy

For twice the price the ATX needs to clearly outperform the Infinium, no ifs, ands, or buts. Especially since I can chest or hip mount an Infinium.