Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hidden Gold Coins???

SteveB

Long ago and far away,

Oh, wait! Back in the early 90's I ran into a guy who told me that he had heard of a treasure trove of around a hundred $20 gold pieces. That's $2,000 face value for the mathematically-challenged like myself. The original figure may have been $20,000 face value, but in the initial telling of the story (around 1 o'clock in the morning in a bar) figures may have been exaggerated. It also seems quite high for the time period.

Seems this old rancher back in the early 1900's had sold some cattle and was passing through an area where he had once lived and had buried his first wife. For whatever reason he was supposed to have buried this gold either just beneath the surface of her grave or nearby on the cemetery grounds.

Now the reason this guy told me the story was because he knew I had a metal detector and wanted me to make the trip to a neighboring state for the search. He was a former town official who had actually given me some grief about detecting in town a couple of years before. He had since retired and we had a sort of truce about my digging up the local park and athletic field. :)

Before we could make the trip, he got sick and died. However, he gave me names. And the old rancher who was supposed to have buried the gold? Well, he has a daughter by his second wife. She's in her 90's now, and still sharp mentally.

Should I pursue this? I may be the only person who knows the story or has what clues I have. I don't want to bother the daughter, but she never had children, and her heirs are nieces and nephews who will be sure to waste anything and everything from her estate when she passes.

The only other aspect of the story is that in the new state where the daughter was born, I have family who now own the old rancher's homestead.

Thanks for reading. This is really the only story I have regarding a possible treasure that I can tell.

Of Course! The difference in being a treasure hunter and a treasure finder is looking for it! That guy in England who found that Saxon hoard actually got out of his house one day, and went to that farm, he'd been driving past it daily and his mind got to thinking.....Farmer said go ahead, plenty of other guys have detected this place and didnt find anything...he simply stumbled upon it, no research or anything to go on, just pure dumb luck.
You have access to an old homestead and an old story to go on, which may put you on to it, or at the very least give you an adventure. Everybody needs an adventure now and then.:thumbup:
Mud

In her grave? I missed that part! it was early.:goodnight:..hunt the homestead anyway...
Mud

Everyone,

Thanks for the input. Some people don't mind disturbing graves - they're called archeologists. Anyway, the first wife's grave is in another state, and the daughter of the second wife may or may not know where it's located. I won't disturb either lady, but if I ever find that first wife's resting place I will swing the coil. Once. Just to satisfy my curiosity. No digging, just swinging for an ID.

Now the homestead? Oh yeah! The only grave there are of old milk bottles and assorted other buried farm junk. Woohoo!

And who knows? Maybe the old man buried it on his homestead after all?

Thanks again!

Steve