Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Historic Pawnee Nevada

NVGrndPndr

Historic? Granted the old community near Silver Springs, Nevada is likely historic for some reason, but I haven't been able to find out why it is called that (Historic). Regardless, got out there today and there are areas indicating buildings did, at one time, stand along the railroad tracks. While digging up the Prince (Prince Albert) it is apparent there had been a fire which burned most of the buildings there. Found a few things that interested me while poking around with the old Whites, those things did not include the tons of railroad spikes we dug up or the Prince Albert cans. I know that the existing railroad tracks were put in after 1935 (or there abouts), but the shotgun shell bases we found were made earlier then that (1911 - 1923). Some of the items we found, not including the railroad spikes and barrel hoops, are pictured below. Would like more info on the suspenders clasp, but haven't found that yet.

1 - old pocket watch missing the front and back found at 3". Has a gold color to it around the edge ... maybe brass?
1 - unknown gold colored non-magnetic ring about 3" in diameter at 2"
2 - Rem-UMC (NITRO CLUB) shotgun shell base 1911 - 1923 at 4"
1 - Crown Made suspender clasp in very good shape at 4"
1 - old ceramic button
2 Tons of railroad spikes and Prince Albert cans :)

Hello NVGrndPndr,
Good to hear from you. Nice finds.
I hope to get out your way when my wife retires. Had the motor home packed now for 2 years.

There is a lot of history in this area to include the Emigrant Trail, Pony Express, huge old cattle ranches, the Comstock Lode mining and the railroad. I actually live smack in the middle of the Emigrant Trail along the north side of the Carson River near Fort Churchill, Nevada. It is simply amazing to find all the old horse tack and remnants of years gone past left by the wagon trains and others. One more detector won't make any difference so come and enjoy Nevada's history.

I actually don't detect too much anymore. I photograph the old towns and landscape, teach young guys about detecting, go exploring and mostly enjoy traveling and writing about treasure and meeting new folks. I like the history and I've probably found more than my share over nearly 50 years anyway. I do like the desert; it has a beauty all its own!

My detecting Partner, and myself, are not into the hobby looking for the golden strike of a lifetime. We spend most of our days off roading looking for history and exploring the history in this area. We have purchased some offroad side x side buggies, keep them on the trails, and track the old mining communities. It is truly interesting to see how people lived and worked back in the 1800's where there wasn't a Home Depot on every corner. Some really unique old communities that have escaped history that are begging to be found in this area and detecting helps those communities tell their story :)

I agree.
I've just located 21 ghost towns in a single Pa. county. Nearly all have never even been photographed. The closest one is 2.5 miles from an access road! I just submitted an article and photos of the first one to E&W Treasures; we'll have to wait to see if they publish it. For me it's the thrill of the discovery, the forgotten graveyard and the ruins of the homes and businesses that are an attraction. Then I track down the history of the place. A few of these even have treasure legends associated with them.